Been out on a recon (No Pic)

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Unbelievable I have just found a small wetland reserve about 10 minutes drive away :LOL: which is just in the middle of a field. It is managed by a local wildlife group and owned by the Waterboard.Pouring with rain but I had a quick stroll this morning, it has three or four shallow ponds, not much cover at the moment but from what I can tell there are quite a few reed clumps that will obviously pop back up in the warmer :D months to come. There is also a natural brook which runs along one side of the field. The list of birds that have been spotted there looks promising, and will give me something to look forward to capturing on camera, here is a check list so to speak, cant wait to get a picture of a Robin :LOL::LOL: Roll on the next dry day!!

Tachybaptus ruficollis - Little Grebe
Phalacrocorax carbo - Cormorant
Egretta garzetta - Little Egret
Ardea cinerea - Grey Heron
Cygnus olor - Mute Swan
Cygnus atratus - Black Swan
Anser anser - Greylag Goose
Branta canadensis - Canada Goose
Anas platyrhynchos - Mallard
Anas strepera - Gadwall
Anas clypeata - Shoveler
Anas penelope - Wigeon
Anas crecca - Teal
Aythya farina - Pochard
Buteo buteo - Common Buzzard
Accipiter nisus - Sparrowhawk
Falco tinnunculus - Kestrel
Falco subbuteo - Hobby
Falco peregrinus - Peregrine Falcon
Phasianus colchicus - Pheasant
Gallinula chloropus - Moorhen
Fulica atra - Coot
Vanellus vanellus - Lapwing
Gallinago gallinago - Snipe
Larus ridibundus - Black-headed Gull
Larus canus - Common Gull
Larus argentatus - Herring Gull
Larus fuscus Lesser - Black-backed Gull
Columba livia - Feral Pigeon
Columba oenas - Stock Dove
Columba palumbus - Wood Pigeon
Streptapelia decaocto - Collared Dove
Cuculus canorus - Cuckoo
Strix aluco - Tawny Owl
Tyto alba - Barn Owl
Athene noctua - Little Owl
Apus apus - Swift
Alcedo atthis - Kingfisher
Picus viridis - Green Woodpecker
Dendrocopos major - Great Spotted Woodpecker
Alauda arvensis - Skylark
Hirundo rustica - Swallow
Delichon urbica - House Martin
Anthus pratensis - Meadow Pipit
Motacilla alba - Pied Wagtail
Motacilla cinerea - Grey Wagtail
Troglodytes troglodytes - Wren
Cinclus cinclus - Dipper
Prunella modularis - Dunnock
Erithacus rubicula - Robin
Saxicola torquata - Stonechat
Turdus philomelos - Song Thrush
Turdus iliacus - Redwing
Turdus viscivorus - Mistle Thrush
Turdus pilaris - Fieldfare
Turdus merula - Blackbird
Sylvia atricapilla - Blackcap
Sylvia curruca - Lesser Whitethroat
Sylvia communis - Whitethroat
Acrocephalus schoenobaenus - Sedge Warbler
Phylloscopus trochilus - Willow Warbler
Phylloscopus collybita - Chiffchaff
Regulus regulus - Goldcrest
Regulus ignicapillus - Firecrest
Muscicapa striata - Spotted Flycatcher
Ficedula hypoleuca - Pied Flycatcher
Parus major - Great Tit
Parus ater - Coal Tit
Parus caeruleus - Blue Tit
Parus palustris - Marsh Tit
Aegithalos caudatus - Long-tailed Tit
Certhia familiaris - Treecreeper
Pica pica - Magpie
Garrulus glandarius - Jay
Corvus monedula - Jackdaw
Corvus frugilegus - Rook
Corvus corone corone - Carrion Crow
Corvus corax - Raven
Sturnus vulgaris - Starling
Passer domesticus - House Sparrow
Fringilla coelebs - Chaffinch
Carduelis cannabina - Linnet
Carduelis flammea - Redpoll
Carduelis carduelis - Goldfinch
Carduelis chloris - Greenfinch
Carduelis spinus - Siskin
Pyrrhula pyrrhula - Bullfinch
Emberiza schoeiclus - Reed Bunting

Last edited:
That is quite a list. Good luck with the robin shot.
I spent a good half hour this morning watching a fox feeding on a Rabbit. No camera of course!

That is quite a list. Good luck with the robin shot.
I spent a good half hour this morning watching a fox feeding on a Rabbit. No camera of course!

Did nobody ever tell you it is rude to stare when someone is eating Charlie? :D
Thanks

wish i had an area like that near me.sounds great.

Thanks Scott, yes it does look good. The thing was I emailed the wildlife group four or five times over the last couple of months asking about becoming a member, I even offered any pics of mine for them to use on their website, as all of the ones they have are courtesy of the RSPB and are of not very good quality. So far I have had no reply, so I thought sod it!! I will just do my own thing :D

Last edited:
Thanks Scott, yes it does look good. The thing was I emailed the wildlife group four or five times over the last couple of months asking about becoming a member, I even offered any pics of mine for them to use on their website, as all of the ones they have are courtesy of the RSPB and are of not very good quality. So far I have had no reply, so I thought sod it!! I will just do my own thing :D

Aye that sounds about right for some of these conservation types. Go stir em up a bit:LOL:
I offered to supply timber free of charge to a local group to repair a big hide they have. I got turned down:shrug:
I rarely go to that area & all I wanted to do was help them out:thinking:

Aye that sounds about right for some of these conservation types. Go stir em up a bit:LOL:
I offered to supply timber free of charge to a local group to repair a big hide they have. I got turned down:shrug:
I rarely go to that area & all I wanted to do was help them out:thinking:

Makes you wonder Charlie :shrug:

Ach these days I just do my own thing. :D

Hi,

so my Dad and I, just get in there and get some shots fired off, hopefully you can get close enough for some good shots as I always find the problem with all hides at RSPB locations etc that they all too bloomin' far away from the subject, they need to bring themselves up to date and be more camera friendly, we don't all own 500mm ++ lenses and spotting scopes :crying:

Mike.

Well capturing that little list should keep you out of tyhe pub for a while :LOL: Nice to have a location like that just 10 mins away. time to get camo'ed up methinks.

Flippin eck Rich you are going to be busy getting shots of all those birds,hope to see some soon then Happy New Year to you and your family Rich
:D Lets hope so Kaz, I did notice a small bush tucked away with what seems to be a lot of tiny little crab aplles on the floor, not sure if species like the Redwings etc go for these or not :shrug: But like I say weather permitting I will try and get over there shortly. A happy new year to you Kaz and thanks for all the kind words :nuts:
Well capturing that little list should keep you out of tyhe pub for a while :LOL: Nice to have a location like that just 10 mins away. time to get camo'ed up methinks.

Yup Ken I think I will, my trousers and jacket are being washed as we speak :LOL:

Last edited:
Plenty photo opportunities, sounds promising. Possibly good for Dragonflies and Butterflies by the sound of it, and on your doorstep.

Looks like it might turn out to be a nice little site looks like you have a nice selection os birds to choose from
(Just watch those branches creeping in from the or is it the right)

Regards
Richard

Looks like it might turn out to be a nice little site looks like you have a nice selection os birds to choose from
(Just watch those branches creeping in from the or is it the right)

Regards
Richard

:LOL::LOL:

Cracking list there Rich - I look forward to the photos.

Cracking list there Rich - I look forward to the photos.

You and me Tom :LOL:
It's good to have a local patch. My very local patch is Storton's Pits, and then the next nearest is Summer Leys. :)

Have fun! :D

Cheers Joe, yeh it must be good to have somewhere local. I have got a stream and wooded copse virtually at the bottom of the garden which is where I got my KF and Dipper shots from, but I failed to see anything else other than a distant Wren, I suppose it depends on the vegetation on what species will visit the area.

Back