Beginner Beginner 35mm Camera advice

Name
Shaun
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone

I currently have a DSLR, and I’m wanting to get myself an old 35mm SLR

I’m kind of swaying towards a canon AE-1 program after scouring the internet for research.

I was just wondering if anyone has any other recommendations for someone who has never shot film before.

I don’t want to spend £100’s in case it’s not for me, but don’t want something too basic or cheap.

Thanks in advance :)

Shaun

I would ask @pentaxpete on this forum.

He was a professional film shooter and has an incredible amount of knowledge about the subject, and a nice guy

Hi Shaun and assuming you don't know much about film SLRs, well everything is full frame and the camera is only a light tight box separating the shooter from the lens, so using the same lens and on simple subjects you'll get the same result from a £5 camera to a £1000 one.
Anyway the AE1 P is a decent camera and Canon lenses are plentiful but when buying check the camera doesn't have the Canon cough\squeak...this problem pops up because over the years the lubrication of the mirror damping mechanism dries out, it can be lubricated if you are a DIY person otherwise you'll have to pay someone. Other checks would be light seals around camera back etc these can also easily be done at home.
For me, the only camera I would like in the "A" model range would be the A1 camera but it would be too expensive for just to try film to see if you like it, but then one way of looking at it is:- if you can buy any good camera at a good price, with prices going up and if you don't like film then you can always get your money back on selling.
Anyway lots of good cameras to choose from and maybe you could marry up lenses that work on a film camera and also your digi camera.

To be honest I don't think you'd go far wrong with any camera similar to the AE-1 P in that it has a built in light meter.

To be honest I don't think you'd go far wrong with any camera similar to the AE-1 P in that it has a built in light meter.

Yes indeed they all take pictures and many views here on 35mm slrs are down to things like looks or handling :D o_O

Judging from your profile, you have a Canon 1200D with a couple of lenses. Well given that information, I would actually suggest you could get a Canon EOS film camera.
A few reasons for suggesting this:
1) they are cheap, I mean, £5 off ebay.
2) you get autofocus
3) you get decent metering in camera and will have aperture and shutter priority modes
4) you can use some of your existing EF lenses (ie the 50mm prime and 70-300mm listed in your profile) - note that you can't use any EF-S crop sensor lenses like the Sigma 17-50.
5) the controls will be fairly familiar.

This will get you into shooting film really cheaply and easily. With the advantage of AF and good metering you'll get more keepers, (particularly if you don't have the time to line up shots and make sure all the settings are correct). Then once you've got a feel for it you can go full manual.

I have a Canon EOS 100QD film body which I picked up from a bargain bin in London Camera Exchange for £5. I bought a battery and it's absolutely fine. It gives the great option of shooting alongside my DSLR and sharing lenses.

That said, there is something really nice about using a fully manual film camera like the older AE1. It's really satisfying when you get a photo processed and know that you did everything manually, focus, aperture, shutter speed, etc and got a good shot.

If you want a 35mm film camera and you aren't bothered too much about that 'vintage feel' and getting a manual winding film camera then, as Alistair suggests above, perhaps think about a Canon EOS film camera? But rather than getting a cheap and plasticy one, how about going for something a bit more advanced such as the EOS 30 with eye controlled focus? You should be able to find one (without waiting too long) in excellent to mint- condition with a warranty from a dealer, or from a high feedback private seller, for about £60 to £70 inc postage on eBay, which is less than an old AE1 Programme. It should work with any EOS lens (apart from the crop sensor EFS type ones, which WON'T fit!), so you'll be able to use any 'full fat' EOS lens on both your cameras.

If you want the retro feel then I wouldn't bother with the AE1 or AE1 programme, I'd go for an A1 in top condition. To be honest, I've seen the AE1 sell for more than the A1 during the last year or so, which to me is daft! As Brian has mentioned, check it hasn't got the Canon shutter squeak and that the light seals and mirror buffer strip are OK or have been replaced, otherwise it will probably cost you between £60 and £100 to get both repaired (or more, depending where you send it!).

If I had to choose just one 35mm camera to start me off and I were in your shoes, I'd more than likely go for the EOS 30 as it won't seem that different from your current camera to use, until you get more used to using a film camera on manual settings, etc. If I liked the results then I'd perhaps think about getting an A1 or other top notch 'vintage' film camera and building up a set of lenses for it.

However, we're all different and what suits one person may not suit another. I hope this is useful and best of luck deciding what's right for you. There should be plenty of camera reviews about the EOS 30 and the A1 on the internet, but as usual, don't just go off what one person has said, especially if they've only just bought the camera!

Last edited:
If you want a 35mm film camera and you aren't bothered too much about that 'vintage feel' and getting a manual winding film camera then, as Alistair suggests above, perhaps think about a Canon EOS film camera? But rather than getting a cheap and plasticy one, how about going for something a bit more advanced such as the EOS 30 with eye controlled focus? You should be able to find one in excellent to mint- condition with a warranty from a dealer for about £60 to £70 inc postage on eBay, which is less than an old AE1 Programme. It should work with any EOS lens (apart from the crop sensor EFS type ones, which WON'T fit!), so you'll be able to use any 'full fat' EOS lens on both your cameras.

If you want the retro feel then I wouldn't bother with the AE1 or AE1 programme, I'd go for an A1 in top condition. To be honest, I've seen the AE1 sell for more than the A1 during the last year or so, which to me is daft! As Brian has mentioned, check it hasn't got the Canon shutter squeak and that the light seals and mirror buffer strip are OK or have been replaced, otherwise it will probably cost you between £60 and £100 to get both repaired (or more, depending where you send it!).

If I had to choose just one 35mm camera to start me off and I were in your shoes, I'd more than likely go for the EOS 30 as it won't seem that different from your current camera to use, until you get more used to using a film camera on manual settings, etc. If I liked the results then I'd perhaps think about getting an A1 or other top notch 'vintage' film camera and building up a set of lenses for it.

However, we're all different and what suits one person may not suit another. I hope this is useful and best of luck deciding what's right for you. There should be plenty of camera reviews about the EOS 30 and the A1 on the internet, but as usual, don't just go off what one person has said, especially if they've only just bought the camera!

I was going to comment in this thread, but, frankly, after the above, I've little or nothing to add... EOS-30 for using the AF lenses, or a A1 otherwise... I've got both, and, while the EOS-30 doesn't get used as often as it deserves, thats no reflection on it's abilities, purely that I also have the wonderful eos-3 (think of the eos-30 as the film version of a EOS-500D and the EOS-3 as a 5D equivalent... a bit bigger, much more solid and easier to handle, and just short of the full-on metal bodied pro level kit - though, in fairness there was probably a smaller gap between the eos-3 and the eos-1v than between the 5d and the 1d variants...)

I've just started shooting with my dad's canon ae-1 program he's had for over 30yrs out really like it. Lenses are a reasonable price to which is good. I picked up a 50mm prime for £25 earlier. I've got a canon 1100d as well it's just a different experience shooting film

Last edited:
If you want a 35mm film camera and you aren't bothered too much about that 'vintage feel' and getting a manual winding film camera then, as Alistair suggests above, perhaps think about a Canon EOS film camera? But rather than getting a cheap and plasticy one, how about going for something a bit more advanced such as the EOS 30 with eye controlled focus? You should be able to find one (without waiting too long) in excellent to mint- condition with a warranty from a dealer, or from a high feedback private seller, for about £60 to £70 inc postage on eBay, which is less than an old AE1 Programme. It should work with any EOS lens (apart from the crop sensor EFS type ones, which WON'T fit!), so you'll be able to use any 'full fat' EOS lens on both your cameras.

I was going to comment in this thread, but, frankly, after the above, I've little or nothing to add... EOS-30 for using the AF lenses, or a A1 otherwise... I've got both, and, while the EOS-30 doesn't get used as often as it deserves, thats no reflection on it's abilities, purely that I also have the wonderful eos-3 (think of the eos-30 as the film version of a EOS-500D and the EOS-3 as a 5D equivalent... a bit bigger, much more solid and easier to handle, and just short of the full-on metal bodied pro level kit - though, in fairness there was probably a smaller gap between the eos-3 and the eos-1v than between the 5d and the 1d variants...)

:plus1: to the above.

If you (the OP) just want to see what results film gives you compared to digital, go EOS but if you're after an older fashioned experience, the A-1 would be my choice (well, I'd go Nikon since I have several Nikon fit lenses that would work well on old film bodies but starting from scratch, I'd go Canon A-1 - I enjoyed using one when they were fresh off the boat!). Or, you could go the whole hog and go MF!!!

Thank you so much for the numerous very informative reply’s!

I think the general consensus seems I can’t go too wrong with an ae-1 to try it out and see how I get on.

I’m watching a few on eBay that come with a few lenses for £100ish. I did spot a canon 1000f, but then it seems a lot more automated than the likes of the older slrs. I think I’d prefer something more manual to really enjoy the film experience

Last edited:
The AE-1 isn't fully manual, it has shutter priority auto exposure, if that matters to you?

If you want a truly manual experience, and you're willing to look beyond Canon, I'd suggest the Nikon FM or FM2. Both are completely manual and the battery is only required for the meter. Tough as old boots, and lenses (Nikon still use the same mount) are easy to find.

FWIW, I have a Canon DSLR but still prefer my old Nikon film cameras.

Have fun!

I think the general consensus seems I can’t go too wrong with an ae-1 to try it out and see how I get on.

I’m watching a few on eBay that come with a few lenses for £100ish.

SERIOUSLY - if you're dropping £100 or thereabouts GET AN A-1, not the AE-1 or AE-1 program.

the A-1 does everything the AE-1 will, AND can go fully manual. They're both prone to the same "canon cough" problems - but, as someone who bought an AE-1 program just after its launch, while I was never unhappy with it, I always wished i'd saved up another 20% or so and bought the A-1. When I returned to film just after joining TP, and had a fit of nostalgia for "manual focus 35mm" there was no question which camera I was going to buy...

The Canon A-1 Family Snapshot by The Big Yin, on Flickr

it wasn't the AE-1 :)

Only Canon Film body that i'd even consider replacing the A1 with is the F1n - mainly as it's the "full-pro" kit and has a different degree of robustness to the mechanicals - but also because it's all-black, and not "panda" (yep, i'm shallow, I admit it - the aesthetics do influence me)

have a look at the Canon Camera Museum site and compare/contrast what the cameras are like / what era they come from - the link below throws you straight into the Canon A series camera section...

http://global.canon/en/c-museum/series_search.html?t=camera&s=film&s2=a

Last edited:
I'd rather have the far more superior T70 than AE1 or AE1p and a T90 instead of an A1...but if anyone wanted the old camera look they wouldn't be on the short list.

I’m kind of swaying towards a canon AE-1 program after scouring the internet for research.

AE-1, AE-1 Program or A-1 are all perfectly suitable cameras. As mentioned above - if they do not particularly mention the "Canon squeak" and evidence that it has been treated/considered, give it a miss.

I don’t want to spend £100’s in case it’s not for me, but don’t want something too basic or cheap.

Don't forget that the market remains strong and healthy for used film cameras, especially the better known, better regarded classic models - so although it may feel like a lot of money, unlike a digital SLR, you have a real chance of clawing back most of your investment if you do not enjoy using the camera.

I'd rather have the far more superior T70 than AE1 or AE1p and a T90 instead of an A1...but if anyone wanted the old camera look they wouldn't be on the short list.

I really like the look and sound of the t-70’S I’ve just been having a look. What puts me off is the internal battery than needs to be replaced every 5 years or so. Would places still offer a service like that now? Or would it be a case of having to do it yourself

I really like the look and sound of the t-70’S I’ve just been having a look. What puts me off is the internal battery than needs to be replaced every 5 years or so. Would places still offer a service like that now? Or would it be a case of having to do it yourself

It's only for user settings - I wouldn't worry too much about that. The main issue with the T70 is how ugly it is! No service could fix that :D

Would be wary of anything Praktica bayonet. They are not noted for the reliability of the shutter. The BC1 is the worst by far, have had umpteen broken one's before I I gave up, but none of them are great. If considering a Praktica i would look at the M42 mount MTL5, 5B or 50. More reliable. Manual only but enjoyable IMO.

Don't forget that the market remains strong and healthy for used film cameras, especially the better known, better regarded classic models - so although it may feel like a lot of money, unlike a digital SLR, you have a real chance of clawing back most of your investment if you do not enjoy using the camera.
Also noting that such machines are somewhat long in the tooth and as such might be quite likely to fail whilst in your ownership, in which case they won't be worth as much any more ...

Neither might Praktica, being from what was then E Germany, have as reliable a build as Japanese cameras of the same era. And what else could a Praktica bayonet lens fit? Sellers often seem to have exaggerated ideas of price that it only takes one mug to confirm.

Well I don't know anybody that bothers with the internal battery and I've had two T70's and a T90 for years, Canon also said the display would only last about 10 years erm they didn't estimate that correctly also. Anyway IIRC the battery is only used to remember settings that you have set the camera for e.g. ASA or shutter speed etc...as my three cameras have no problems, I can only assume the battery is good for at least 35 years, or it's recharged by the main working batteries (AA) or some one in the past replaced it...my battery in my multi meter is still going after 40 years so they can last for a long time if lightly used.
The only weakness on the T70 (like "A" models) is if a knuckle-dragger abused the battery door\catch..otherwise no camera squeak or seals to worry about and no silly 6v battery as it takes two AA's.
I don't know the prices now but they were going for a tenner or less without a lens, so would assume you should get a well looked after T70 with 50mm f1.8 lens for under £30, but remember it's only shutter priority, program and manual and if you want a more versatile camera your choice would be back to the A1 or the vastly superior T90..well that's if you want to stay with Canon.

Also noting that such machines are somewhat long in the tooth and as such might be quite likely to fail whilst in your ownership, in which case they won't be worth as much any more ...

Indeed, although the sound of someone slamming their T90 on the ground everytime EEE appears, or the covering on their Nikon modern film SLR going sticky - the newer cameras are not always necessarily more reliable. I must've had countless older film cameras (35mm and medium format), and I can't remember any falling into the "quite likely to fail" description (which I think is an exaggeration). Of course a 30-40 year old camera, especially one that has not been serviced, could be liable to breaking - but I don't think users of this forum are too absorbed by that fear.

Last edited:
Indeed, although the sound of someone slamming their T90 on the ground everytime EEE appears, or the covering on their Nikon modern film SLR going sticky - the newer cameras are not always necessarily more reliable. I must've had countless older film cameras (35mm and medium format), and I can't remember any falling into the "quite likely to fail" description (which I think is an exaggeration). Of course a 30-40 year old camera, especially one that has not been serviced, could be liable to breaking - but I don't think users of this forum are too absorbed by that fear.

Yes the EEE is a problem on the T90 if not used for years, maybe it was you who had his T90 fail and was using it? This EEE scares people off and a great camera goes very cheaply because of that, but as I've mentioned before that if you can pick up one for say £50 with lens and it lasts say 3 years then assuming the lens is worth £15 then it would cost you over three years:- £35 divided by 150 weeks works out 23p a week before you throw it away. I've had my T90 for six years and so far has cost me an eye watering 15p per week so far :eek::D

My first SLR was a Practika MTL5, it was a good (but chunky) camera. The plethora of good M42 mount lenses mean you have plenty of options to choose from.
These days (in addition to my EOS) I have a Pentax Spotmatic which is a similar age and is also M42. But it's smaller and a little better designed. I have 35mm, 55mm and 135mm (with a teleconverter) lenses for it. I've had some great images from it.

I maybe should've said "more likely to fail" - but I also have a great faith in luck!

Luck, with some prudent purchasing, care, simple home maintenance and having the contact details for someone like Miles Whitehead - it's not too bad really.

Yes the EEE is a problem on the T90 if not used for years, maybe it was you who had his T90 fail and was using it?

I would never risk owning that eyesore :) (I always maintain - if I want to have something automated, with a display, I'll just use my digital)

Like Nod, I've owned my Canon A1 since it was new, it was the first thing I saved up for and bought when I left school and started work - first of all I was going to get an AT1 (fully manual), then I decided I'd go for the AE1, then eventually I decided I'd go for broke and get the A1... and I never regretted that decision for a moment. I must have taken a few thousand photos with that camera over the years and (touch wood) it's still going strong and working as it did when new. It developed the shutter squeak about 8 years after I bought it and I sent it to a Canon approved repairer to get it fixed, and it's been fine ever since (a good reason to send it to a proper repairer rather than trying a DIY fix!).

It had the light seals and mirror buffer replaced last year (more as a precaution as they were just beginning to deteriorate) and that's been it, in all those years of ownership, several of which it spent sitting in the wardrobe completely unused after auto focus and then digital systems were perfected and I finally bought into them (leaving cameras unused for long periods doesn't tend do them any favours).

While my A1 was having it's squeak fixed I bought a second hand AE1 as a stop-gap, it delivered acceptable results but after me being used to the A1 I felt as thought I'd been hobbled. My main annoyance was that I found the shutter speed dial tended to snag on things and turn if I wasn't careful, which meant that I had to keep checking the shutter speed was correct and hadn't moved. The A1 has a sliding shield that covers the knurled dial to prevent this. I was glad to get the A1 back from the repairers and for a short while tried the two of them side by side, with the AE1 loaded with black and white film (no scanning images and changing them to B&W in those days!), but I still found it annoying to use compared to the A1 so I ended up selling it.

The A1 really is a step up from the AE1, so do think long and hard before you choose. As The BigYin says, the A1 will do a lot more than the AE1. I'd add to that: if you want to see the difference between the different markets these two cameras were aimed at, then do a search on Butkus and have a look at the owner's manuals for the A1 and AE1. http://www.butkus.org/chinon/canon.htm It will also give you an idea of what the A1 can do. Hopefully that might help you make an informed decision if you're trying to decide between an A1 and an AE1. (y)

Last edited:
I’ve just spotted a Praktica BMS Electronic with 6 lenses for £75, seems like it’ll be a good set up for me to try out with a variety of lenses for the price. Hmmm too many options now lol

Depends on the lenses for a good buy as there are a lot of inferior lenses about....as mentioned the camera is a light tight box so if the camera packs up you can always get another one for the lenses.

Would be wary of anything Praktica bayonet. They are not noted for the reliability of the shutter. The BC1 is the worst by far, have had umpteen broken one's before I I gave up, but none of them are great. If considering a Praktica i would look at the M42 mount MTL5, 5B or 50. More reliable. Manual only but enjoyable IMO.

Well I agree with your views on the BC1 as my one, now and again, the manual wind on jams but found a quick way of unjamming it is to connect the battery winder...well I decided to put one of my favourite lenses on it so connected the battery winder and have half used the film.....h'mm now the camera has stopped working with the battery winder and if the manual wind on jams I'm stuffed :eek: Nice camera on the surface but it ain't Nikon quality.

If you just want to put your foot in the water and try.

Then the best thing is to pay for postage and I will send you a Nikon body and lens.

Give it a go and if you feel that it is something for you then look and buy what you feel you would enjoy.All you then have to do is send back the Nikon.

If Nikon interests you then you can contact me for a keeper price which may be nothing. :)

Will these Nikon fans stop at nothing to encourage Canon users to defect?! ;) :D

Joking aside, I think that's a very kind gesture, Richard, and typical of the friendliness and helpfulness of the F&C members I've met and 'chatted' with so far. (y)

If you just want to put your foot in the water and try.

Then the best thing is to pay for postage and I will send you a Nikon body and lens.

Give it a go and if you feel that it is something for you then look and buy what you feel you would enjoy.All you then have to do is send back the Nikon.

If Nikon interests you then you can contact me for a keeper price which may be nothing. :)

That is an incredibly kind gesture thank you, if you message me your Paypal email that would be awesome.

Thanks everyone for the continuing reply’s. I’ve now been looking at Home development kits etc, got the bug before I’ve even started with it lol

The Pentax K1000 is a good starter body and the Zukio lenses are very good

The Pentax K1000 is a good starter body and the Zukio lenses are very good
Do you mean Zuiko lenses? In which case those are Olympus OM lenses not Pentax.
Zeiss did lenses for Pentax M42 and bayonet mount. Great glass if you can find it for a good price.

Do you mean Zuiko lenses? In which case those are Olympus OM lenses not Pentax.
Zeiss did lenses for Pentax M42 and bayonet mount. Great glass if you can find it for a good price.

Opps ! brain fart time , Asahi opt co Japan lenses I should have said ,

PM sent to Shaun.

Back