Critique Beginner architecture photography - The Sage, Gateshead

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

Since taking up photography around 9 months ago I've tried to learn as much as possible. I think I'm improving and every once in a while I take an image I'm happy with, not often but it happens. I have good equipment which helps a lot, it was bought specifically for architectural work.

This was taken on a 24mm from quite a distance away, it's a close crop so quality is not what I would want it to be ideally. Single exposure with mild treatment in lightroom 5. If anyone with experience in architectural photography could offer an opinion, I'd be very grateful. It's a steep learning curve!!

Thank you.

10731555673_b06bcc85f1_k.jpg

Looks good, possibly a bit tightly cropped on the bottom and LHS but a nice shot.

Not a comment on your posted image but I've often failed to get in closer on subjects like this & regretted it. Getting closer & more abstract can make it more your image rather than just a recording shot.

It's a nice angle on what looks to be a really cool building, I'd be seriously tempted to some cleaning up removing some of the lamp posts especially ones that are between you and building, these does seem to have a really strong cyan to almost green colour cast to it...what processing did you do???

Matt

Thank you everyone, sorry I have not been active lately, too busy out snapping new pics.

Post processing wise Matt, it was a saturation lift and some adjustment of levels. I think I raised clarity too. Not too much though, the sky was beautiful that evening. I will go back and shoot this with a different lens at some point, I was so far away that the PC-E was a bit lost. Not sure on a colour cast, I certainly did not apply one. Truth is, I cant see it either, my eye isn't there yet. It might have been something to do with the sun behind me and through clouds?

I keep on trying! All the feedback helps and the positive comments are a great motivator!!

Edit: The glass on the building is treated so my wife just told me, presumably some energy saving method. So I guess that the green cast on the building itself might be down to that?

Last edited:
Thank you everyone, sorry I have not been active lately, too busy out snapping new pics.

Post processing wise Matt, it was a saturation lift and some adjustment of levels. I think I raised clarity too. Not too much though, the sky was beautiful that evening. I will go back and shoot this with a different lens at some point, I was so far away that the PC-E was a bit lost. Not sure on a colour cast, I certainly did not apply one. Truth is, I cant see it either, my eye isn't there yet. It might have been something to do with the sun behind me and through clouds?

I keep on trying! All the feedback helps and the positive comments are a great motivator!!

Edit: The glass on the building is treated so my wife just told me, presumably some energy saving method. So I guess that the green cast on the building itself might be down to that?

To be honest I wasn't looking at the glass for the cast, as I was guessing that would be toughened glass and most of that will have a green colour to it especially when treated to reflect a lot of heat otherwise in the summer it could become an oven in there :eek:

But looking at he structure there is a strong colour to it when it looks to be a grey colour in real life, the same with the tops of the lamp posts...do you calibrate your display that you use for your photos?

Hi Matt,

No my monitor is not calibrated, I need to replace it I think, it is an old iiyama, ancient in LCD terms.

I see what you mean, I'll have to look at the original and see if I can spot it or not, thanks for the heads up. Really does help :)

Hi Matt,

No my monitor is not calibrated, I need to replace it I think, it is an old iiyama, ancient in LCD terms.

I see what you mean, I'll have to look at the original and see if I can spot it or not, thanks for the heads up. Really does help :)

Truth be told I'm anything but a monitor expert lol I just went of a recommendation for mine and brought a calibrator to make sure that what I see is accurate, as to the help I'm happy to help where I can thats the idea wonderful thing about the forum, getting decent feedback/critique is what I love as it helps me improve, and I live to make sure that is also what I give (y)

I like it, nice light, good composition. As said a little tightly framed at the bottom and LHS and I'd have a go at removing the two lamp posts bottom left.

Good work..

Back