Critique Beginner's shot on the Clyde

Edit My Images
Yes
Folks a complete beginners shot from earlier this evening on the Clydeside. Was only there for a short period and picked out this as the best of a bad bunch! :)

Shot using my new Nikon D3200 in automatic mode. All I have is the camera and 18-55mm kit lens. No filters used and don't have a tripod or remote shutter release. All comments welcome.

DSC_0034
by southsider_78, on Flickr

I like the separation of the "armadillo" and the "soup bowl" with just a small gap between. I'd prefer not to have the distracting white triangle on the left hand edge, and I wonder if a small crop off the top would improve the image. Minor points - but all I can suggest. Well done.

Last edited:
I like the separation of the "armadillo" and the "soup bowl" with just a small gap between. I'd prefer not to have the distracting white triangle on the left hand edge, and I wonder iof a small crop off the top would improve the image. Minor points - but all I can suggest. Well done.

Thanks Stephen.

The white triangle is the edge of a canopy on the bridge. I never actually noticed it which was probably down to the size of the image on screen when cropping it. I'll give it another go in the Nikon editing software I have.

If you mean when you originally composed the photo, it may not have been visible. I don't know if the Nikon D3200 has a 100% viewfinder view, but I do know that from a single eye position it's impossible to see all the screen edges on an Olympus E3 - you have to tripod mount it and move around behind the eyepiece to see everything.

Please remember at the end of the day, it's only my opinion and it's your image, so don't take anything I say as carved in stone.

If you mean when you originally composed the photo, it may not have been visible. I don't know if the Nikon D3200 has a 100% viewfinder view, but I do know that from a single eye position it's impossible to see all the screen edges on an Olympus E3 - you have to tripod mount it and move around behind the eyepiece to see everything.

Please remember at the end of the day, it's only my opinion and it's your image, so don't take anything I say as carved in stone.

Any advice or comments are welcome - its good to get other people's opinions.

I was meaning I didn't spot the white triangle when cropping the original image in the Nikon editing software rather than when composing the image.

I always have a mental checklist of things to look out for, and checking edges and corners is one of the major ones.

That is a simple crop/clone job. This is nice. I prefer a longer ss to blur the water more but this has been well handled for auto.

Composition seems good, nice reflections. It's a great place to shoot and you've done well hand held. It's a locus I know well.

It's hard to keep highlights in check, you've more or less fine this but the rest is very dark.

Here's mine. I've taken one like tires a tad earlier and prefer the armildilo unlit

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/index.php?threads/.522102/

Last edited:
Composition seems good, nice reflections. It's a great place to shoot and you've done well hand held. It's a locus I know well.

It's hard to keep highlights in check, you've more or less fine this but the rest is very dark.

Here's mine. I've taken one like tires a tad earlier and prefer the armildilo unlit

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/index.php?threads/.522102/

Thanks. I was reasonably pleased with the composition for a beginners attempt.

Will be good to this as benchmark and go back and take some more shots once I've had more experience. It certainly is a popular spot, there was several other photographers out that night. I did note they all had tripods and remote shutter release.

Your shots are excellent. Something to aspire to in the future. I do agree that the armadillo looks better when its not lit.

Tomorrow I'm off to Ireland for a wedding and short break away so another opportunity to take some more shots in a new setting. A chance for more practice!

Reactions: ST4
Hello mate, welcome aboard!

First shot is a cracker. Agree with the above comments and is something that is easily remedied in PP. A longer shutter would make it perfect imo.

Cheers.

Without a tripod would a longer shutter have possibly led to a blurred image from camera shake? I was out drinking with my mates the night before so keeping a steady hand may have been tricky. :)

Back