Bempton Cliffs

Edit My Images
Yes
another of the cliff series

bempton3.jpg

Nice shot Steve.

/grabs onto something so I don't fall.
Compositionally spot on, exposure great, works for me.

Although I think I might have cloned out the houses, they seem too stuck in the corner up there. Kinda like they should be the focal point, but they're not.
Maybe rotate it anticlockwise slightly. I may be wrong (havent checked it) but the sea horizon looks a little off.

Border sets it off a treat too.

Nice contrasts in the colours, blue sea, white cliffs, and deep greens for the land gives it a nice balance. Looks like a place that is not only beautiful but probably very peaceful most of the time:)

Only picky points would be the houses as mentioned, and those telegraph poles, the horizon does appear to be sinking to the right (not sure if I would have noticed this TBH had Marcel not mentioned it;) ).

Thanks for sharing:thumb:

Nice shot Steve.

Marcel said:
/grabs onto something so I don't fall.
Grabs on to Marcel.
I don't mind the houses on the cliff, quite quirky but agree that they should be the focal point but aren't....sort of thing. I don't know if I would be right in saying but, I do feel there should be a little more sky, bringing the horizon onto the 3rd....maybe cropping the foreground bank out would help this, as it doesn't really add anything although it frames the beach rather well. Something to look out for would be some wild coastal flowers growing on the bank...would add a lot of foreground interest and set this off rather nicely.
The best thing about this and every other pic on this site is I get to see places I've never been or am ever likely to get to..unfortunately.:thumb:
Now please lets stay away from the side of cliffs.....:shock:

*gives marcel and ken a playful shove*

Agree with ken on that one, but only on the basis that what I would've done is similar. i.e. zoom/tilt/crop whatever so there was a bit less foreground. Good work though.

well, thats more like the 'old ' forum i used to visit, lots of friendly help and advice, great to see once again.
I agree that the horizon is slightly on the wonk, but i disagree about the focal point being the houses, i didn't clone them out, else there is no sense of scale at all, but, i could be wrong, and thats probably why my pictures are usually crap.
once again guys many thanks for the help.
:clap:

Lots about that shot really works for me. In the " I like column" are...

The framing and composition. I like houses where they are and how they add scale and a little human presence without actual people.

The fact that there aren't any flowers. You have lots of tones but really only three colours and that's lovely.

The little bird etched into the hillside. ;)

The nicely defined regression of foreground, middle and distance. (although perhaps raising the camera a tad could have given more definition between the shaggy grass and the clifftop edge)

In the "dont like column"....

The two little telegraph poles. The only real giveaway to the wide lens.

The flat light. Nothing you could have done of course, except wait or return.

wow, i guess i must be in heaven, all this support and help.
Taken on board guys, many thanks to all who try and help me out here, and a great thank you to dazzajl, great in depth report there, very very helpful indeed.
thank you..

Back