Benby gimbal heads

Lordy,they are a lump cheaper.Are these the Indian copies of Wimberley?

Lordy,they are a lump cheaper.Are these the Indian copies of Wimberley?

That is what I am trying to find out. Benro (Gitzo chinese copy) are supposed to be doing one but it is not quite the same as this. Wonder if it is worth a punt?

You buy one then and let me know what they are like.................:naughty:

Youv'e got a bigger lens than me, I was hoping you would try first:p

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I`ll wait until one of the more experienced people comment on them.Though my 393 head seems to work ok.I really need to try one of these type of heads out and see if i can justify the extra cost over what I already use.

I've no experience of this gimbal Donna and I can't find any reviews on it. I've no doubt though it's going to be pretty similar to the Chinese Wimberley copies which have a good name for being functional and just lacking the build quality and finish of the Wimberley which is what you'd expect with the price difference. I'd say it's worth a punt at the price, but don't blame me if it's rubbish. ;)

The only thing I'd say is it's a bit overkill possibly for your 300mm 2.8- a Wimberley Sidekick will do the job more than adequately and be cheaper and lighter to cart around. If you went with the Sidekick though you'd need to invest in an Arca type ball head to use it.

That is what I am trying to find out. Benro (Gitzo chinese copy) are supposed to be doing one but it is not quite the same as this. Wonder if it is worth a punt?

I would hazard a guess that Benby and Benro are one of the same Chinese copier.

I've no experience of this gimbal Donna and I can't find any reviews on it. I've no doubt though it's going to be pretty similar to the Chinese Wimberley copies which have a good name for being functional and just lacking the build quality and finish of the Wimberley which is what you'd expect with the price difference. I'd say it's worth a punt at the price, but don't blame me if it's rubbish. ;)

The only thing I'd say is it's a bit overkill possibly for your 300mm 2.8- a Wimberley Sidekick will do the job more than adequately and be cheaper and lighter to cart around. If you went with the Sidekick though you'd need to invest in an Arca type ball head to use it.

Thanks for that Cedric.......(y)

good points by ct. i would suggest that you give thought as to where you wish to go in terms of long lenses. if the Canon 300 f/2.8 is as far as you realistically want to go the wimberley 2, whilst very nice, is as ct says overkill. if you envisage getting longer lenses a gimbal type head really becomes a necessity.

in my own case i got the wimberley 2 first and then, because of weight restrictions on flights, i got a sidekick and a RRS BH-55 as i attempt landscapes as well - not really viable to take both the BH-55 and the wimberley 2 together on a flight because of the weight.

whilst a sidekick is quite adequate for the 300 or my 500 it is nowhere near as smooth in operation as the wimberley 2. another point to consider is that the cost of a sturdy acra type head and a sidekick is well on the way to a gimbal type head.

i am sure you will get other and differing opinions - but then this is the benefit of these forums.

Anyone know of or have experience of these heads from The Wildlife Studio?

Seems good value when Wimberley II are £499
They are the same as the Indian Gimbals but quite a bit more expensive, the sidekick version would be fine with your 300mm and Ruth has one and uses her Sigma 50-500mm on it no problem. If you want one buy direct from India via Ebay and get free mounting plate and save lots of money. They obviously buy from India and put price up
Cheers
Brian

Wow such interest! Thank you everybody for your replies and the great advice (CT & erding). I have an Arca compatible ball head on my carbon fibre tripod so I will look at the sidekick again. I will have to share it of course with Mr. DonnaM, I wonder who will win on that one:bat::D

They are very solid although they are obviously not a smooth as a Wimberley they are very easy to use and i have no problem in fitting my big lenses on. I had my big lens on it and it easily held the weight. I have a Wimberley and had i tried one of these before spending £400+ for it I would have saved a packet!
Wimberley's are the Rolls Royce of heads and very well made etc but these do the same job. I'm not a gear snob so it doesn't matter if it cost £100 or £1000 for me if it works.
Cheers
Brian
Ps one of my favourite bits of kit is my diy backdrop made from a white roller blind for £10.00 and gives great results

Back