Berlin

Edit My Images
No
Just come back from a short trip to Berlin so here are some new photos from me. All taken using a Minolta X-300 SLR with standard 50mm F1.7 lens on Kodak Tri-X 400 developed in Rodinal.

Christmas markets:

Cant believe there has been no comments!
Liking 1&2 for the contrast, but love the Jewish memorial photos, especially number 7.

Mart

I really like the way you've included a human element in each shot, although the woman in 4 doesn't look best pleased! Good use of b&w for these ones.

4,5 & 6 for me. The look on the woman's face in 4 is the sort of look I always get when I do street photography.

Rekindled my desire for a Minolta - I've got a 45mm and nothing to use it on! Lots of lovely detail coming through that combo you've got there that's for sure.

Great set and to many to make comments on all, but I like #1 the best of the set, the two people fading away to the right just looks like they are going out of frame and the customer looks really intent on making a purchase of what looks like some kind of wrapped ham and the assistant not taking a blind bit of notice just great it really does tell a story.

I love the setting it can only be at night the contrast of the lights just makes it perfect, good focus throughout the whole frame a real keeper in my opinion.

Glad these are going down well. The Minolta + 50mm F1.7 is a great combination for this kind of shooting - the camera is small, easy to use and I trust the metering to get things right even in low light.

I'll post some more pics in another thread shortly :)

Liking these a lot :naughty:!

Great tonal contrast, as well as some tidy compositions :clap:.

I adore the noise/grain in the last shot. It just it's perfectly on the concrete cubes. Did you do that in post process?

No - Kodak did it when they made 400iso FILM :LOL: - though it's also possible to say that choosing to develop the film in Rodinal helped to create the look and feel ;)

To be fair, Rodinal wasn't a choice, it's the only dev I currently have and I was too impatient to wait until a different developer came if I ordered one.

No - Kodak did it when they made 400iso FILM :LOL: - though it's also possible to say that choosing to develop the film in Rodinal helped to create the look and feel ;)

Ah right, I'm assuming that's the Tri-x 400? I read an article on it recently. The mentioned it was one of best B&W films of all time. I think there is a worry at the moment that it may disappear due to the steady demise of Kodak.

Ah right, I'm assuming that's the Tri-x 400? I read an article on it recently. The mentioned it was one of best B&W films of all time. I think there is a worry at the moment that it may disappear due to the steady demise of Kodak.

It's one of the most well known, due to its extensive use in news and documentary photography over the years, but "best" is probably a subjective thing (and probably incorrect).

As for the Kodak thing, lots of speculation, endless internet fora tearing every little bit of news into bits (the latest being the sell off of the gelatin subsidiary) but whilst I can still get Kodak film, I will and continue shooting it!

Back