North England Best bang for my buck.

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
I have never been to the Lake District before and fancy a trip in my small motorhome in September/Oct. It will be just me and a lazy greyhound. I am knocking on a bit so do not wish to do long hikes. Also I can get lost on a roundabout. What I am looking for is a recommendation on where to base myself to get the best bang for my buck for landscape photography. I have the fotovue book on photographing the lake District but personal recommendation is always good.
I know that some think that exploring the location is the best way to do it but when you are travelling a few hundred miles and don't know the area a helping hand is good.
Timing for my visit and length of stay is very flexible and more than one location very acceptable.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Around Keswick if you can.
Access to several lakes.
Great views from Latrigg fell (you can park near the top).
You can park by the Theatre on the Lake at Keswick and walk all the way around Derwentwater (flat walk).
If it gets too much for you then at various points you can catch the ferry back to the car park.
Many great locatins around Derwentwater.

Loweswater, Crummock and Buttermere can all be done in a day and offer some spectacular views - not that far from Keswick.

Sale Fell overlooking Bassenthwaite Lake and is not a difficult walk - great views over the coast towards Scotland.

Head towards Ambleside for Grasmere, Rydal and the top end of Windermere.

Enjoy yourself.

Around Keswick if you can.
Access to several lakes.
Great views from Latrigg fell (you can park near the top).
You can park by the Theatre on the Lake at Keswick and walk all the way around Derwentwater (flat walk).
If it gets too much for you then at various points you can catch the ferry back to the car park.
Many great locatins around Derwentwater.

Loweswater, Crummock and Buttermere can all be done in a day and offer some spectacular views - not that far from Keswick.

Sale Fell overlooking Bassenthwaite Lake and is not a difficult walk - great views over the coast towards Scotland.

Head towards Ambleside for Grasmere, Rydal and the top end of Windermere.

Enjoy yourself.

Peter 123. Thank you, that was exactly the kind of response I was hoping to receive.

2nd Keswick. Apart from being a decent town with plenty of pubs it's ideal for surrounding areas.

As Peter said you can park by the theatre and walk along the lake. You don't need to do the full circuit.
Buttermere is brilliant too. The Lone Tree is there and the full walk round the lake is easy and will take you around 5 hours if you want to take it easy and stop to take loads of photo's. Crummock Water is adjacent to Buttermere as well. On the way from Keswick to Buttermere you go past Moss Force and it's an easy, pretty drive too.

For Rydal park at Pelter Bridge and walk up the lane. The view when you get to the top hits you. Take the higher path and you might find the cave.

Lake District - Rydal Cave by Philip Lench, on Flickr

I have now managed to book 6 days at the camping and caravan site at Keswick from the 16th Oct and a further 7 nights at the Braithwaite site a couple of miles away. Hopefully the Autumn colours will be out. Thank you for your suggestions hopefully, it will make my visit more enjoyable and productive.

I have now managed to book 6 days at the camping and caravan site at Keswick from the 16th Oct and a further 7 nights at the Braithwaite site a couple of miles away. Hopefully the Autumn colours will be out. Thank you for your suggestions hopefully, it will make my visit more enjoyable and productive.
Can I come please :)

As above and also Penrith is a good base for Ullswater which should be on your list. There’ll probably be pockets of colour but don’t expect peak autumn until late October or early November

Don't be tempted to stop at White Moss Car Park between Rydal Water and Grasmere! It is expensive and ANPR controlled so you are paying as soon as you enter, whether you find a space or not.

Nice set and thanks for updating the thread, its always good to see the results

Lovely set.
Borrowdale Mill and Lodore Falls going on the list for visits!'

Last edited:
Lovely pictures Gordon. It certainly looks like you had a great time :D

Back