Best calibration device for a couple of Dell moniitors

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Guys I want to calibrate a couple of monitors...........S2417DG and UP2716 D what's the best product to use please?

Thanks in advance and take care our there !!

stu

Guys I want to calibrate a couple of monitors...........S2417DG and UP2716 D what's the best product to use please?

Thanks in advance and take care our there !!

stu

I used Display Cal, with a colormunki doo dad (can`tthink of the name for the actual device), and find it works better than the standard software that comes with.

I have tried both Spyder and i1 display, I prefer the i1 as get better results compared to Spyder.

See which one is within your budget and get that one, you have to option to use display cal as mentioned above.

I've had both a Spyder Studio and and i1 Studio kit to do both my screen and printers. In my opinion the i1 beats the Spyder hands down for ease of use and colour accuracy.
Don't get me wrong the Spyder system is really good but the all in one i1 system is just easier to use and in turn makes it easier to get an accurate result.

I use Display Cal with (I think) a Spyder3 device, I didn't like results from the spyder software came with it - but that was at least 8 years ago.

Lads, thanks very much for your time and the recommendations ,i'll have a dig. it looks like the Xrite i1 is the way to go but I see there are several versions. I'm going to need to do some reading., to see which best suits our needs.

Kev / Chris are you both using the "display studio" version, forgive me being pedantic the names are so similar,as I say though I do need to read up a bit more

cheers again all much appreciated !!

Lads, thanks very much for your time and the recommendations ,i'll have a dig. it looks like the Xrite i1 is the way to go but I see there are several versions. I'm going to need to do some reading., to see which best suits our needs.

Kev / Chris are you both using the "display studio" version, forgive me being pedantic the names are so similar,as I say though I do need to read up a bit more

cheers again all much appreciated !!
Hi

I have the standard i1 display pro, but I am sure if was not as expensive as they show up now. Will have a proper look and comfirm.

Thank you

Edit:

Had a look at my one and it just says i1 display, so it is an older version.

Last edited:
Kev many thanks sorry slow in reply I'm really distracted at the moment full tilt on making a camper me 'eads full of wood hmm not from the tree of nouce either:LOL:

Andrew thank you....................... useful !!:)

Chris cheers for the link said device is a joint venture with my son, who isn't an image maker . I really should be calibrated as a matter of course, I've not printed much but it always seems right to what I gave them when I do..................I have a sneaking suspicion when I do calibrate little will change,but being able to share something between us halves costs so a chance to be looked at....
Cheers for the help lads, very kind

Never heard of "display cal" before but that looks interesting. I hate the bit of software that comes with my spyder 4. Always a pain to recalibrate and cannot seem to understand the different settings in it.

Never heard of "display cal" before but that looks interesting. I hate the bit of software that comes with my spyder 4. Always a pain to recalibrate and cannot seem to understand the different settings in it.

I like it. There are also some good tips for base settings too (good old google). It does take a fair bit longer, but worth the wait imho.

A quick question?

Are these two monitors being run from the same computer?

If so, is that from two ports off of the same graphics card.......or do you have 2 graphics cards?

The reason I ask is that AFAIK (always stand to be corrected?), with 2 monitors attached to a single card you cannot calibrate both i.e. the card can only be loaded with one LUT profile.... .unless one monitor is hardware calibrated and then you can software calibrate the second one.

PS AFAIK neither of the Dell mentioned are hardware calibrated.

Last edited:
.....The reason I ask is that AFAIK (always stand to be corrected?), with 2 monitors attached to a single card you cannot calibrate both i.e. the card can only be loaded with one LUT profile.... .
I think that was the case historically but today's (quality) graphics cards now support a LUT for each output.

The latest Spyder X Pro software is much improved, so much so that I no longer use DisplayCal.
There is also now a conflict that prevents the Spyder Software being seen once DC software is installed.

I think that was the case historically but today's (quality) graphics cards now support a LUT for each output.

Ah! the devil in the details.......so something that needs to be checked/confirmed before the circle of confusion of "I have calibrated one but when I do the second one I find the first one has changed the way it looks......"

Laurence ha you always have me back buddy, thank you. :)

No We are at separate locations. My lad is the polar opposite of me astoundingly good with PC's he works with them makes 'em blummin genuis ...where it came from who knows:LOL: So he's going to do the ground work. Ha buddy he actually has a way of ferreting about in my computer remotely,it's just bewildering he's miles away. So I'm in good hands just need the knowledge of you togs to point me ha him in the right direction at which products to look at

Buddy your last line............." neither of the Dell mentioned are hardware calibrated"............... does that mean We can't use an external device to calibrate?

thank you:)

Laurence ha you always have me back buddy, thank you. :)

No We are at separate locations. My lad is the polar opposite of me astoundingly good with PC's he works with them makes 'em blummin genuis ...where it came from who knows:LOL: So he's going to do the ground work. Ha buddy he actually has a way of ferreting about in my computer remotely,it's just bewildering he's miles away. So I'm in good hands just need the knowledge of you togs to point me ha him in the right direction at which products to look at

Buddy your last line............." neither of the Dell mentioned are hardware calibrated"............... does that mean We can't use an external device to calibrate?

thank you:)

Hi Stu

Good to have 'help in the family' for when needed :)

Re: above ~ hardware calibrated means that you can (using a suitable compatible calibrator and the monitor makers version of the calibration software) load the the calibration profile into the monitor itself. With non hardware calibrated monitors such as the Dells you mention, when calibrated the calibration profile is loaded onto the graphics card every time you boot up your PC

So yes you can use and need an external calibrator (I have read of some monitors that have the calibrator built in!).
In my case with my i1 Pro Display calibrator I used that on my old Dell 2209W.
When I upgraded to my BenQ SW270C monitor I checked that the i1 was on the compatible list for doing the hardware calibrations and it is but only when using BenQ's own Pallette Master software. This software is actually a special version of the "i1 Profiler" software.

HTH :D

Thanks again , that makes sense now. Cheers for the reply and your time........................... Ha I need all the help I can get ,nowt changes hey mate :LOL:

Sorry slow getting back Laurence much going on at the moment , it's not I don't appreciate the help.

Rich Bob cheers for chiming in

take care all:)

Back