Best canon fit 70 - 300mm lens for under £450

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Right i have another equipment question: What is the Best canon fit 70 - 300mm lens for under £450?

I have been looking at the canon 70 - 300 IS, and was wondering if there were any better alternatives in the price range.

Help/Advice will be greatly appreciated

Short answer is no really.

After the 70-300 IS, you'll probably be stepping up to an L lens. Could get a secondhand 70-200, but that'll be a non IS.

Would agree with the above, the 70-300IS lens is a good one to go for, you shouldn't have a problem selling on in the future, if you decide you want to upgrade (y)

I have the 70-300 IS and have in the main been happy with it (on 400d). Cameraprice buster shows it at ~£400

I am considering the upgrade at the moment, (well, there are several things I want to upgrade).
To me the next stage from this is the 100-400mm L IS, but that is 3 times the price. :(

If you wish to save the money, I have heard some people say that the sigma 70-300 is good, but it doesn't have the IS.
Turning on and off the IS at 300mm really makes me understand how useful it is (even when I am resting against a wall for support).

Euan had 1 for sale £340 but open to offers.

after looking at lens comparison sites, i think a good option is the 70-200l for sharpness along with a 1.4 extender. this loses little clarity and gives a decent reach. no IS unless you want to spend double though.

I have the 70-300mm IS, amongst many other lenses, it is a gem, very light, easy to carry, covers a good range and gives good quality results. I would never get rid of it, unless, of corse, they bring out an 18-400mm that is the same size and weight.

i agree with the above , as long as you know its limitations , it is far better if you stop down a bit to say f8 or so :)

Another vote for the 70-300 IS, there is nothing else like it really, an absolute gem.

The only things that can beat it are seriously much more expensive.

You won't regret it!

I have the 70-300 IS and have previously had the 70-200 F4 L, with 1.4 extender, and the 100-400 L IS, I have also recently used the 70-200 2.8L IS and have to say that the 70-300 IS can hold its own if stopped down.

Its not in the same league for build quality of course, but for the price its a cracker.

Back