Best file size for A4 prints ?

Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi People who hopefully know more than I

What is the best camera file size to use when printing A4 prints ?

Over to you >

this is bit of a open ended question that could lead into one of those internet debates :D

Depending on the viewing distance or for normal viewing distances 6MP would easily suffice.
If you want your nose against it then around 8MP as suggested above.

A4 or there abouts is my most printed format/size. I have got great prints from 4mp and above. :)

Last edited:
Pixel dimensions are pretty much what Elliott has said above - for 300dpi prints. A4 is about as large as the 300dpi rule of thumb needs to be stuck to since it's as large as can be comfortably viewed at arm's lenth. Actual file size is hugely variable though - a fairly simple sea scape will be smaller (once converted to a JPEG) than a complicated group shot. I tend to do the resizing then Save As a JPG, using the preview panel (in Photoshop Elements) to see when any artefacting becomes apparent at 100% and then going one level of quality higher (as insurance against it!)

Hi People who hopefully know more than I

What is the best camera file size to use when printing A4 prints ?

Over to you >

It would be better to ask "What is the minimum sensor size?" rather than asking "What is the best sensor size?"

At a minimum any camera sensors above 5MP, preferably around the 6MP to 8MP mark, will do fine.

Any sensor sizes over 8MP onwards, all will print to A4 anyway, but there is no best size because the sensor sizes keeps growing as technology improves, therefore there is no maximum size to worry about, and since there is no maximum, therefore there is no best size.

Best to use at minimum, a camera with sensor size of 5MP or more, and the image size setting on maximum the camera can offer (ie: Large setting, rather than Medium or Small settings just because you're worried about storage space on the memory card).

At 5MP, you could hope to get away with it, printing on A4. But at around 6MP to 8MP, they are good for A4. Over 8MP, no worries.

It would be better to ask "What is the minimum sensor size?" rather than asking "What is the best sensor size?"

At a minimum any camera sensors above 5MP, preferably around the 6MP to 8MP mark, will do fine.

Any sensor sizes over 8MP onwards, all will print to A4 anyway, but there is no best size because the sensor sizes keeps growing as technology improves, therefore there is no maximum size to worry about, and since there is no maximum, therefore there is no best size.

Best to use at minimum, a camera with sensor size of 5MP or more, and the image size setting on maximum the camera can offer (ie: Large setting, rather than Medium or Small settings just because you're worried about storage space on the memory card).

At 5MP, you could hope to get away with it, printing on A4. But at around 6MP to 8MP, they are good for A4. Over 8MP, no worries.

Sorry to be so pedantic but for complete accuracy you mean sensor resolution not sensor size. The latter refers to the physical size of the sensor (crop vs. full frame etc) which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with resolution.

Sorry to be so pedantic but for complete accuracy you mean sensor resolution not sensor size. The latter refers to the physical size of the sensor (crop vs. full frame etc) which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with resolution.

Oh right, yeah, sorry. I have not had my coffee yet. You stand correct. Thanks.

Back