best film for architecture

Edit My Images
No
needs to be 120 .
can't really still decide.

my eyes are on Fuji reala 100 .
velvia would be lovely for some reasons, but the processing !
I've almost always shot Fuji and I think I would like to stay it that way .

any thoughts, general advices ?

thanks,
D.

Reala 100 is that print film?

Personally I would go for Provia slide film, it is little de-saturated (bit like the old Astia) but works well with warm up filters.

160C is meant to be good for the job, if you like less saturation of course there is 160S, both negative films. For slides I'd also recommend Provia; it's not as intense as Velvia which for architecture I could imagine being a bit overwhelming?

oh yes ! - I want to stick with the negs. I wish I could do slide, but not yet.

I'm quite sure now that I'll go for the 160, I think there is a new one now.

another thing - I don't think that I'll be scanning them, again - for the budget reasons, so would need a filter

Is there a place where I could rent Lee filter system ?

D.

Depends on the effect you require, I was a die hard fan of Fuji for years but they seem to have lost interest in film.
Ektar is hard to beat for saturation and real punch or Portra for a nice pastel look. I've just shot a few sheets of Portra 400 and am very, very impressed (never liked the old NC/VC versions.)

Is there a place where I could rent Lee filter system ?

If any where I would think some place like Calumet, they rent out to the professional world.

However if your looking for filter which are good but not as expensve as Lee then have a look at the Hitech range which I use and like alot.

On the picture side I would also go with Portra, not tried the new version but really like the NC version they used to do.

Last edited:
Generally Kodak film has a lot of a more 'natural' colour pallet whilst Fuji tends to go with quite bright, saturated colours. There are of course exceptions like Kodak E100VS which is quite saturated and Fuji Provia which is very neutral.

Unless I missed something (too easy for me to do) you did not specify colour over B&W? Why not try Kodak TMax 400 (TMY2) 120 B&W?

IMO it is beautiful and very sharp with a great tonal range. Even better would be testing that and Kodak Portra 400 120 (as has been mentioned).

As an alternative to Kodak:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=100779

Alistair

As old as Canon vs Nikon...

Each company has a decent enough range and covers a variety of film styles. My advice would be to do two things;

1. Search on Flickr for the film name, it should dredge up a fairly good selection of images.

2. Try them out yourself.

It's expensive isn't it!

Are you wanting to do sort of "general" architecture work or a building in particular?

:LOL:

ok, then just will stick with Fuji. although they have replaced my favorite 160s .

it is going to be a series of buildings.

Generally Kodak film has a lot of a more 'natural' colour pallet whilst Fuji tends to go with quite bright, saturated colours. There are of course exceptions like Kodak E100VS which is quite saturated and Fuji Provia which is very neutral.

might be true. although I think shooting conditions make huge difference .
the 160s of fuji was very nice. hope the new one is better or at least not worse.

Back