Best flash for Nikon D300 and portable studio.

lukewoodford

FYI, I am Luke Woodford.....by Luke Woodford
Name
Luke Woodford
Edit My Images
No
Hey guys i tried searching the forums but couldnt find the answer. Can you recommend the best flash for my D300. It will be used mainly for portraits. ]

Also could you recommend a good portable studio, for going round peoples houses and taking pictures of mothers and babies etc.

Thanks in advance, Luke

I thinkbefore looking at what the best flash is you need to decide exactly what you want out of it. If, as you say, you want it to do mother and baby portraits you may need two guns - one for the subject and at least one to light the background (if using one), you will also want to diffuse the light with either a small softbox or umbrella which ideally should be off camera so factor in a light stand and flash/umbrella holder.

An easier and less expensive way would be to do natural light portraits with a bit of fill flash, I bought all the portable studio gubbins and tbh it is a pain in the arse to set up as most rooms are not big enough, it's been sitting in my loft for the last year although I do use the lightstands for Strobist style lighting.

Hope this helps.

(y)

UK Digital Cameras are doing the NIKON SB600 for £125 + £6 Delivery.

Thats all you need to start with, the SB800 Doesnt offer a great deal more in real terms, some people need ot to "command" other flashes, but as the D300 has it built in, Get the SB600.

fully portable would have to be the profoto 7b or an elinchrom ranger system. expensive though.

Thanks for the help. Whats the reason they are so expensive? is it the generator or quality of equipment? I can do without a generator as i will be near plug sockets. Are there any good ones around the £250- £500 mark? I see lots out there but i dont know which are good?

Back