Best IR filter

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Just bought a few rolls of Rollei 400 IR film. Am I right in thinking I should Use an R72 filter?

I second the R72 filter. The remaining IR films available today do not record the longer wavelengths in the IR spectrum like the discontinued Kodak HIE IR film did where you could get away with a not as deep red filter. And remember bracketing is a good idea with IR films.

Last edited:
I second the R72 filter. The remaining IR films available today do not record the longer wavelengths in the IR spectrum like the discontinued Kodak HIE IR film did where you could get away with a not as deep red filter. And remember bracketing is a good idea with IR films.

Efke IR820C records up to about 830 - 850nm which is close to that of HIE which according to Kodak will record up to about 900nm and as so can it be used with a wratten 87C (850nm cutoff) something that the Efke unfortunately cannot, it can only use a maximum of a wratten 87 (800nm cutoff).

It would be nice if a company could market a film with a sensitivity similar to HIE.

It would be nice if a company could market a film with a sensitivity similar to HIE.

I've long kicked myself over and over for not getting a stash of HIE before it was gone. I did get a stash of Panatomic-X though and still have some. Here is 135 HIE with just a red 29 filter. Surprisingly, I think, you get pretty good IR effect with just that filter.

Nice shot Tuco. IR is one of those things I've wanted to have a go at for years but never got round to. I've seen a filter on Amazon so will get that ordered straight away.

Back