Best Lens for Formula 1

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm after advice on what lens to buy for when I go to the F1 this year. As it is the last year at Silverstone it will be my last chance to get some good shots there.

I'm looking at these two lenses but i'm worried that their AF wont be fast enough for the action.

I am open to all suggestions and have a budget of around £400 (maybe up to £500 at a push) Lens is for a 40D.

The 2 lenes I've looked at so far are:

Canon EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS

&

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Lens

it doesnt have to be a canon lens its just that these two seem relatively similar

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.

Stu.

Having been to Silverstone many times (not F1) I'd have to say that 250-300 will probably not be long enough. It would probably be better hiring a 100-400 from Lenses for Hire for the weekend

Silverstone isnt great for togs, i would say 400mm at least. And knowing the British weather and the speed of the cars you'll need a big apparture too. Most of the pro's use 600 f4 ive found...

26042008045.jpg

Would be a bit unwiedly in the crowd though! I would prob recommend the 100-400 as a compromise aswell.

For the money, the 55-250 IS really is good and puts more expensive stuff to shame.

It served me well at the Moto GP at Donnington, and the few track days I went on this year;

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

I've found for most trackside stuff 250mm is enough. Sure, more expensive lenses will have faster AF, but I've never been frustrated by the AF on it.

I used to have the 55-250 and would highly recommend it - on a crop body it works out to about 400mm focal length and thats about right really. So long as you pick a good spot to shoot from it'll do you fine - easier said than done on an F1 weekend though.

You can also find a cheap 500 mirror lens on Ebay IMO it's as good as a zoom with a teleconverter or a crop .

300mm is long enough at Silverstone, you just have to think about where you shoot from. Luffield, Bridge, Abbey, and Club are all excellent places to photograph from, and a 300mm lens will do you fine there. Out of those two, I'd go for the 70-300mm IS USM personally. I've heard nothing but good things about it and very nearly bought one myself.

Ant, that's a quality shot.

this may sound a bit obtuse, but if you are going on race day i would consider not bothering with a camera at all. IMHO it wouldnt be worth hiring or buying a lens especially for the day because it'll be just too hard to get any decent shots without fences or people in the way.
Of course, if you have a media pass or are going on qualifying day then ignore me :)

Thanks for you help and suggestions I'm leaning towards hiring a lens (most likely the 100-400mm) for the weekend and I will also have a pass to get on the inside part of the track :D

Also going on holiday to Jamacia in August (which will be my last big holiday due to me and the mrs heading into mortgage territory) so might save my money for a wide lens such as the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 AT-X Pro DX (another reason for this is in the future I am more likely to take lanscape shots than motorsport)

Thanks again,

Stu.

Inside circuit was very disappointing last year when I went on the Friday/Saturday. It was mostly turned over to hospitality and it was hard to get anywhere without crowd stewards turning you away.

Inside at Copse used to be good but they've extended the hospitality tent/area all the way to the corner now. There used to be a small temp stand there. Abbey is always tied up with the BDRC lot but the worse last year was they wouldnt let you walk down to Stowe, Vale and Club on the inside as it was out of bounds due to the concert kit/arena area.

If you tried to stand anywhere near the fence, the crown marshalls moved you on and told you you had to go into a stand.

Just all seemed to be about the money last year and not the fans.

I see where you're coming from but I was on the inside of the track last year on the sat/sun and never once had a problem with the crowd marshalls. To be honest we didn't come across that many.

But I agree, it did all see to be about the money last year and not the fans.

IBut I agree, it did all see to be about the money last year and not the fans.

LOL!

Its *always* about the money in F1/MotoGP/WSB/any other top notch world series.

Its amazing people ever think its any different... and thats not me agreeing with your point I am saying it really is about the money first and foremost. You don't honestly think they spend that much money just for you to have a good time do you??

Back