Best Panning Lens (Nikon Fit)

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I currently have a Sigma 120-300 2.8 and although it's a lovely sharp lens, it's never really kept up with me in terms of motorsport panning, I previously had a Nikon 80-200 2.8 AFS and it would handle absolutely everything I could throw at it (locking back on instantly with a large fence post mid-pan etc), helping me achieve sharp shots at some fairly bonkers speeds. Shots like this: http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/Motorsport/Castle-Combe-14-15-July-2007/DSC3465a/173258171_9USgW-XL.jpg I just can't achieve any more, despite that being 3 years ago and having an awful lot more practice since then.

Is there anything else that's worth a try? It needs to have plenty of weight to it (I simply cannot pan well with a light lens) and incredibly fast AF, length isn't a big issue, 200mm is fine.

I'm guessing going back to an 80-200 AFS (if I can find one) is probably going to be the best idea, has anyone compared it to the new 70-200 2.8 VR lens?

Don't do motorsport photography but my guess is it depends how far away you are from the action as to which lens to use.

If you stood infront of a car racing towards you, the 50mm f1.4 would make a cracking shot.
:cool::cool::cool::shrug: :shake::shake::wacky::wacky:

Realspeed

Last edited:
I do lots of motorsport and panning
best panning lens if you can get close enough Nikon 50mm but its not heavy
from further back I also use Nikon 300mm f4 D AF-S IF ED that is heavy
When I want flexibility Nikon 70-300VR is good but not as good as the 300 prime.
However
Practice makes perfect....

Back