Best photography laptop

If you have a well configured architecture that is of a lower spec than a badly configured architecture of a higher spec then you can see a positive performance difference in favour of the lower spec machine. Like I said though , it all depends on the machine and what other software is running on it at the time.

My Mac Book Pro plays Counterstrike Source with every setting at its maximum than my Dell XPS gaming laptop did. It surprised me too. But on the other side, 2D applications like Photoshop and Illustrator ran faster and better on my Dell than they do on my MacBook Pro.

get a mac

Not sure what you mean about the mirror, am I missing something?
Chris GIll:shrug:
Presumably that it won't work 'consistently' in mirror mode with an external monitor. But who knows!.....

[yawns at the same old mac vs pc debate]

I like to use internet forums for free advertising rather than pay like proper advertisers do. Please dont visit my site.

It still makes no sense, unless there was something wrong with your windows machine. If anything bootcamp (if it is a piece of software) would make your mac run slower than a dedicated windows PC as it is an extra layer of software between the hardware and software.

Bootcamp doesn't run once your windows installation is set up. All it does is set up your mac to be able to partition and boot a windows installation. It's just a configuration utility.

And yes, these mac/pc threads (of which there's been 3 or 4 in the past week!) are getting a bit tiring.

Never say never. Assuming a piece of hardware or software is virus proof is stupid and completely irresponsible. Selling a piece of hardware or software on the premise that it won't fall to virus infection is equally stupid. If you're an idiot that doesn't take personal security seriously regardless of what platform you're on then your asking for trouble.

I quite agree. I'm sure there will be OS X viruses. Also even if you could be magically sure OS X would never have a virus, a scanner is a good idea to ensure you don't assist in the spread of viruses to others (forwarding attachments etc).

However, I'm not aware of any currently aware of any viruses for OS X, and was interested to know about the ones dapprman is referring to.

As to the whole Mac vs Windows vs Linux argument, I think it mostly comes to personal preference or the occassional instance of a specific need which requires one of the platforms. I use all 3 on a daily basis, and have my preferences.

We use for our photographer laptops Dell Latitude D420/430s and are starting the upgrade to E4300s.

The E4300 is one of the best laptops ever made; very fast, very bright/clear screen, built-in 3G and very small/light too.

Do you find them a little underpowered? I have a D430 and it's a beautiful and light, good screen etc, but only a 1.2 processor so a little slow at the rendering in Lightroom. (ok I'm spoilt with my quadcore PC).

The argument of PC/Mac is surely over which OS the OP is used to. To a PC user the mac can look strange and daunting, especially when trying to configure.

Do you find them a little underpowered? I have a D430 and it's a beautiful and light, good screen etc, but only a 1.2 processor so a little slow at the rendering in Lightroom. (ok I'm spoilt with my quadcore PC).

The D420 is a little underpowered but we've had them since 2006 so you would expect that. D430 is just about ok.

The E4300 however is massively fast.

The D420 is a little underpowered but we've had them since 2006 so you would expect that. D430 is just about ok.

The E4300 however is massively fast.

Yup we had them and the E6300 in for test - gone with the 6300 for our users, just for screen size and power. Surprisingly not too much heavier.

If you do get a new macbook then watch out for the screen. It get's dirty so easily and smudges very easily.

If you are fast, PC World are clearning the last generation Macbook Pro at £850. Amazing value.

Cheers,
James

If your thinking of getting a MacBook, I have an Aluminum one (New type) that I'm thinking of selling? Would you be interested? :D

It is especially a bargain when the cheapest new MBP is £400 more, even with educational discount!

In store only mate, I had the last from Stevenage so try Watford or Hemel...

Cheers,
James

A good PC will be fine, A good Mac will also be fine... however in general a similar spec'd MAC handles images / graphics better, but that's not to say you can't get a pc to do the same job.

This comes from being married to a graphic designer an using her mac and also having her opinion on the matter... also most (not all but most) graphic designers use MAC's .. why do you think that is?

But as has already been said, try them and decided which you prefer, it's about how they feel to use more than anything else... I certainly wouldn't say that a decent PC won't do everything a MAC will, and my personal preference would be a PC as that's what I am familiar with and all the software I have is for windows.

If it's for photography and nothing else and you have a high demand, i.e. your a professional photographer then a Mac is probably going to be the best choice

If your going to use it for everything and editing photo's is just another task for it to do then a decent windows based machine will do the job fine. just note that if it's a laptop make sure you get one fit for purpose with plenty of ram and more importantly a decent video card / screen.

Hi Luke,
I just got one of the new HP touchscreen laptops was about 800quid from john lewis with 2 years warranty, love it!
it has a pen with a touch screen and is awesome in tablet mode for editing!
who needs a mac! or a separate tablet!

cheers
marcus

Hi what model number was it, and how long does the battery last??

because thats what theyve been trained on (in my opinion). if you were to go back to college level and replace all the macs with PC youd probably see more using those.

I would tend to disagree, for example my wife in her last job was forced to use a PC, because that's what the department had, she is fully PC literate and we only have PC's in the house, however she still far prefers the MACS they use in her new job for graphic design work..

I agree that some people will just stick to what they are used to, but there is definitely something in the argument that MACS handle graphics better... there will always be A pc that can do it better than a mac but if you want to guarantee that what you are getting is going to handle it well, buy a MAC or build your own PC..

and again, I'm not a MAC fan, I hate using them but if it was purely photo based work and that was my living I would use that...,

However I would stress that if you don't have a specific need for one and have loads of PC software get a PC.. hear of far too many people who buy MAC because (I edit 1 or 2 photos a week so need a mac) then winge like mad because they have trouble getting any software to work, then go out and install windows on it anyway

creed - thats fair enough, i disagree though. i bet i could replace all the macs up in design tomorrow and if they didnt notice the change of tower/laptop and the operating system their throughput would be the same.

i can only think of pro's by switching them at work (excuding the fact theyd all walk out, hell maybe thats a pro too?!) but thats based on a support view. dont get me wrong (im not anti mac, theres a MB G4 on my desk now) but thats my view for our working environment.

creed - thats fair enough, i disagree though. i bet i could replace all the macs up in design tomorrow and if they didnt notice the change of tower/laptop and the operating system their throughput would be the same.

i can only think of pro's by switching them at work (excuding the fact theyd all walk out, hell maybe thats a pro too?!) but thats based on a support view. dont get me wrong (im not anti mac, theres a MB G4 on my desk now) but thats my view for our working environment.

Well I suppose a major PRO would be cost... in which case I don't think anyone could argue on that front :)... as I say if it was me it would be PC's all the way.

And going from the opening post, I just noticed he has a budget of £1000 ... that would buy you one hell of a powerful windows laptop, plus some bits for your camera.

because thats what theyve been trained on (in my opinion). if you were to go back to college level and replace all the macs with PC youd probably see more using those.
A lot is down to the fact that 10+ years ago there was a very large difference in the graphics capabilities of the Macs and PCs, meaning there was but one choice, however due to the PC games market, there has been a technology war amoungst graphics card designers with the results that if money is no object, you can spec a PC to graphically out perform a Mac by some margin (did I mention the cost angle :eek:)

These days it's very much down to which OS you feel more comfortable with and what you're used to.

Hi,

Macbook!!(Or Macbook Pro if you can stretch that far) :D

I've used Mac's for over 5 years now, and like other's have said, I'd never go back to another PC ever again!! I can always manage to find Mac ported software with ease, in fact there's a lot of decent 3rd party Mac software out there that's great to use-Window's user's often overlook this, and use this as a counter arguement in the Mac V PC debate.

Sure it's a learning curve, but once you have had a few days of playing about with a Mac, you'll often wonder why you wasted so much time with your PC in the first place!!

I think a visit to your nearest Apple shop is in order Luke (y)

Mike.

I have pc's but a mac specifically for imaging... its a mac all the way for me.

My recommendation would be to spend £800 of your budget on a Laptop and the other £200 on a good Wacom tablet :)

I went for a Dell laptop last year and apart from having to have a new screen (returned to them) and new keyboard etc (they came to me) I am pleased with it. Although I should not have had to use it their support is the best I have ever come across.

Back