Best printer for print to CD/DVD

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking into printing bespoke images onto CD/DVD and have been informed home printers can now come with this option................(come a long way since the dot matrix!)

Any of you guys had experience using this option?

Pros/cons?

Quality of end product?

Ease of use (software as well as hardware)?

Would appreciate feedback from anyone using this method.

Thanks.

Any of the Canon printers that print CD's are great. My present model is a MP610 and I use it to print my CD/DVD's.

Any of the Canon printers that print CD's are great. My present model is a MP610 and I use it to print my CD/DVD's.

How do they compare to commercial CD's which use a silk screen process and do you know anything about a 'glossy effect' disc surface that (may) be available?

Would love some feedback for specific printer models that perform this task.

How do they compare to commercial CD's which use a silk screen process and do you know anything about a 'glossy effect' disc surface that (may) be available?

Would love some feedback for specific printer models that perform this task.

I believe the Taiyo Yuden ones are of a glossy finish.....

Taiyo Tuden discs and Canon 4500 and 4850 printers are what we use and get brilliant results that really impress clients.

Taiyo Tuden discs and Canon 4500 and 4850 printers are what we use and get brilliant results that really impress clients.

Is the disc print option on the 4850 straightforward to use and does the accompanying software make it easy to upload your own image, etc?

The price for this kit seems insane - in 1982 2 boxes of listing paper cost me more than this!!!!

Y15HAL said:
Wow, the 4850 looks like it can be had for less than £70! :eek:

What are ink prices like? :cautious:

I get my ink (genuine Canon) from justinkandpaper.co.UK and they the cheapest I have found. I think they're about £8 .99 each at most.

Wow, the 4850 looks like it can be had for less than £70! :eek:

What are ink prices like? :cautious:

If you were further up north we could have had joint ownership on a new purchase!!

If you were further up north we could have had joint ownership on a new purchase!!

:LOL:

I haven't owned a printed for ages - must be 5 years+

I think the only reason i'd be buying would be to print onto DVD's....:shrug: And maybe an odd print here or there :(

:LOL:

I haven't owned a printed for ages - must be 5 years+

I think the only reason i'd be buying would be to print onto DVD's....:shrug: And maybe an odd print here or there :(

I haven't owned one since the early 80's! This project is purely for the CD/DVD's - sounds promising though.

I find it inconceivable not to own a printer!

To print out images I use a lab, for text based stuff I use the laser at work, for contact sheets the proofer at work. I used to have contacts with one of the largest CD replication plants in the UK for CD printing until it moved to Hannover :-(

Pardon my ignorance on this basic subject but 2 question:

When you buy the printer does it come with any ink cartridges?

Is there a major difference between the Canon cartridges and compatable 3rd party ones?

I have found this thread (and a previous one) very helpful and I think I will be getting the Canon printer after reading several reviews.

Canon cartridges have a chip in them for the Canon software the 3rd party's need to be re chipped. Obviously the ink is not the same.

They do come with low capacity inks just to get you going.

I have a Canon ip4300 I use for this purpose. Its quite old now (5+ years I think) but still works really well. Ink is cheap, the results last well. I still have disks that were printed when it was new, and they look the same as recently printed disks.
I did try 3rd party inks once, the results were visually not quite as good.. They were really cheap though (under half the price of genuines... think £4 per cartridge). Due to the low cost of the genuine ink I decided to stick with it.

Try a few prints onto good quality A4 when you get the printer... You will be impressed!

Sam

Just a little bump to see if there are any others... :wave:

Just to second (or third) the Canon ip4850. I get good quality results with Verbatim printable DVDs too and it looks like this printer is currently just under £57 on Amazon!

The printing software is OK and does allow for your own image/text but if you go onto the Canon website you can download the CD printing software and try it for yourself.

Thanks for all the the input. Just ordered from Printerland. Inks to order from recommended supplier in thread and then disks and I am good to go!

Printer + set of Canon inks + 50 Taiyo Yuden printable disks + 350 4/4 booklets + 350 4/0 inlays + 50 Jewel Cases for £137.00

Sounds good to me! You got a result with the inlays!! :)

Going to get some other genre booklets & inlays printed for the same price before that particular pricing matrix dies at the end of the month!

Back