Beginner Best settings

Name
Brian Steel
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a canon eos m50 and I need to find the best settings for single shot action shots. I photograph majorette dancing and the batons and dancers can move quite fast so a lot of my shots come out blurry. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Short answer, shutter speed is the setting you need to play with. That's the amount of time your sensor is exposed to light. 1/500th of a second is about the longest you'd want to leave the shutter open to stop the action you've described. 1/1000th would be better.

Longer answer. There are 3 variables that determine the exposure. How much light you let in (aperture or f-stop), how long you expose the sensor to light (shutter speed) and the sensitivity of the sensor to light (ISO). These all balance each other out. Twice the light for half the time is the same as half the light for twice the time. (Reciprocity.)

Each of these variables affects the image in different ways. Aperture affects how far in front and in back of the subject is in focus (depth of field). Shutter speed, as you've experienced, affects how much you can freeze or blur motion. ISO lets you work with the amount of light you have available, but degrades the image the higher you set the sensitivity.

If you're looking to stop action, choose the highest shutter speed you can with the widest aperture on your lens and the lowest ISO that will allow that.

(Keep in mind that shutter speeds and aperture settings are labeled with the denominator of a fraction. So, a higher shutter speed lets in less light, and a larger aperture number indicates a smaller hole for the light to pass through.)

Last edited:
Shutter-speed - Aperture - ISO
The balance of the three is known as the 'exposure triangle - go google.
As one goes up, other has to come down, and you generally you want as low an ISO as possible to avoid 'noise', as fast a shutter-speed as possible to freeze motion and as small an aperture (high f-number) to maximise Depth of Field or front to back focus. Trouble is, you cant have all three, low ISO, high Shutter, and large aperture, at the same time, hence the art of photography starts with the art of comprise.
For Majorettes.. a high shutter speed would be helpful to freeze twirling battons.... B~U~T a picture that has the battons a bit blurry would tend to show they are moving so you might actually WANT a shutter speed slow enough to get a bit of blur,,,,, enter the art... how slow a shutter you may want will depend on how much blurr, and how far away you are from the majorettes, and how much zoom you are using.....
As a rough guide, I'd personally not be too fussed by the blur, I'd be more fussed to make sure the girls were properly in focus.. given the situation, and that majorettes tend to troop withe marching bands and they dont tend to march in typical UK grey-day winter weather... rule of thumb is f16-Sunny... and keep the Shutter over 1/Focal Length.. so, on a typical UK day... we are probably about two stops under f16-Sunny, so f8 grey-day; would suggest an 'Exposure Value' that would translate to something like 1/125th shutter, F8 aperture and ISO 100.
Up the shutter speed to 1/1000th, two stops, to freeze batons, you'd have to open up the aperture or ISO two stops, or one on each to 'balance' the exposure triangle and keep the EV the same. Now, at 1/1ooo th you could freeze the batons too much, and they look in the finished picture like they aren't moving at all. Open up the aperture to say f4, also two stops, and he same exposure, the DoF could get so shallow that whilst the batton tips were in focus, the hands trying to catch them aren't...
Depth of Field is not just dependent on aperture, its also dependent on the focus distance, and that on the length of lens or how much zoom you use.
Tip here would be to use LESS zoom, and don't try to so fill the frame with subject. The DoF will be greater whatever aperture you use, so you can use a wider aperture and higher ISO for the same light, and get more in focus... and have more tolerance on the majorettes marching 'in' to your focus zone past the point you focused on before pressing the shutter,,,,,,,, but its ALL down to that art of compromise, and circumstance dependent, we cant give yo a 'magic' one size fits all set of settings for everything and everything; that's why the camera HAS settings, and YOU have to pick the ones that are most suitable to what you want to do,, or leave it to an auto modes "best guess".

Back