Best subjects (non human) to practice off camera lighting on?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
I'm still fairly new to this off camera lighting/ strobist lark (I've been a natural light junkie for a while), but I've been building up the gear over the last few months, and having just got Joe McNally's new book (hotshoe diaries) I'm even more keen to let rip.

The problem is, Mrs Dangleman won't let me practice 'on her'. Various whinging about ooohhh it's too bright, eeehh it's bringing on me migraines etc etc :thumbsdown:

So, without resorting to going out and drugging/ murdering someone so I can use a human model as a test :), what are good inanimate objects to practice various set ups and techniques on? Any good suggestions?

Heres my practise model! Shes cheap, reliable and always willing!
:LOL:

IMG_6429web.jpg

I've only recently started off camera flash, so use her to get the set up right...then call in the kiddies, hubby...anyone who is passing really!

Anna

Heres my practise model! Shes cheap, reliable and always willing!
:LOL:

IMG_6429web.jpg

I've only recently started off camera flash, so use her to get the set up right...then call in the kiddies, hubby...anyone who is passing really!

Anna

The best kind of woman :eek: and hasn't she got luvly hair.

I was thinking of a 'girls world' option, but just need to get past the blatant bloody freakiness aspect of it all. Can a 30-something male walk into a shop and buy the plastic head of a young female child without any recriminations these days :)

Seriously though is it any good? Plastic aint skin is it...

No its not...but surprisingly it works well for me! This was my first attempt at off camera flash after using Mrs Plastic Head to sort out my settings... i was quite pleased.

IMG_6440web.jpg

Back