Best time for LE

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, after getting my new big stopper itching to get out and shoot some long exposures by the beach. Just wondering if there is some straight rules of not shooting time of day. Seems obvious that a cloudy dull with low light levels end of day for seascapes or do people get results during a bright day. Looking for mininistic black and White Sea and sky. I know a lot of good locations just that high tide is in the middle of the afternoon at these. I'm up to speed with settings just don't want to waste my time shooting at the wrong time of day. Thanks and will post my results, can't wait to try!

If you have a big stopper (or any 10 stop) then any time of the day is suitable dependant on what you're shooting. If the light is wrong for you, black and white can work well especially with seascapes. Just look out for harsh shadows if the sun is up to its tricks. Also look out for clouds in the sky as the movement in them can really make a long exposure image stand out.

Also be aware of light entering into the camera via the viewfinder on a Long Exposure. Cover it up if you're shooting while the sun is up.
Long exposures can work at any time of the day really, depends what you are looking to get from the end product. Shooting at sunrise/sunset can be tough as any shadow areas can be very dark, unless you are using grads. Same dynamic range issues that you would normally encounter I guess

Oh dear, with your knowledge of the sea, be very careful of the tides until you learn a bit more about them. Best probably to stick to daylight to start with, the coast can be a very dangerous place, especially when the light goes, be careful out there.

The time of high/low tide changes daily, following the cycles of the moon. You will probably be able to find tide tables for your area online, but to get you started, here is the BBC one, a bit basic but will allow you to plan for the week ahead.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast_and_sea/tide_tables

To add to what Steve B says - don't forget that the tide timetables supplied by the BBC are in UTC (GMT) so you need to adjust for an hour in the summer.

Good point, having grown up on the coast, I automatically add the hour for BST.

I know a lot of good locations just that high tide is in the middle of the afternoon at these. I'm up to speed with settings just don't want to waste my time shooting at the wrong time of day. Thanks and will post my results, can't wait to try!

Tide times vary every day. You can find the low'high tide times plus the actual tide height at this site run by the UK Hydrographic Office.

Be careful around estuarys, large tidal sand/mud flats and bays or cliff locations only accessible at low tides - incoming tides can be deceptively fast.

Back