Beware of the Spider...

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
No
I recently got a long desired shot of a jumping spider (here). It was good, but a little noisy and shot with higher ISO than I would have liked, with narrow DoF as I needed a wide aperture for the light.

So, I made changes to my lighting...an old SunPak 3000 flash on a bracket, angled to be close to the subject, and diffused with plastic from a milk carton. Trial and error gave me 1/100s at ISO 100, with aperture of f11...decent enough settings, I think...

...What do you think to the results, sharpness, noise, etc.(original and crop)

Spider on Compost Lid by Bend The Light, on Flickr

Spider on Compost Lid crop by Bend The Light, on Flickr

I like the top one.
However, the second, I assume is a crop of the top? It looks to me like the flash is still to harsh (I can't really talk, I do the same). Possibly it has been over-sharpened as well, I think that this might be over-accentuating the flash.

I like the top one.
However, the second, I assume is a crop of the top? It looks to me like the flash is still to harsh (I can't really talk, I do the same). Possibly it has been over-sharpened as well, I think that this might be over-accentuating the flash.

You are correct, I think. I don't have e-ttl flashes, so mess around with manual flashes, often older than I am (well, maybe not quite :) ). I have sent for a couple of mini soft-box diffusers to see if I can soften the flash some, but retain the light. Just waiting for delivery from HK. :)

I find toilet tissue makes a good diffuser ;)

No 1 for me - spot on :clap:

Les (y)

Oooo... I always thought the Tegenaria genus were just plain brown with black details. Your pic #2 highlights a starling-like iridescence in the first leg segments I've never noticed before.

Big Hairy Spiders; fascinating creatures. :)

Oooo... I always thought the Tegenaria genus were just plain brown with black details. Your pic #2 highlights a starling-like iridescence in the first leg segments I've never noticed before.

Big Hairy Spiders; fascinating creatures. :)

I'm beginning to like them a bit more. I don't like spiders. :)

There could be a little excess sharpening causing some of that iridescence on the legs...and excess flash?

Back