Bi and Tri-Color Filters

Name
Ariel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello, I have a couple of questions regarding color filters, a friend of mine gave me the following set of five color filters brand Aroma:

Aroma Color Filters

On the net there is a lot of information about how to use the color filters in Black and White photography, but I think this set was not meant for B&W because the two basic ones (yellow and orange) are not part of it, and at this moment I find difficult to imagine the purpose of the Bi-Color, and even more difficult for the Tri-Color one. :thinking:

Any application/usage ideas or examples?

Well you can use the top right hand one with B&W film very well, its a yellow-green filter which gives a similar rendition to a yellow filter, but slightly lightens green tones rather than darkening; I tend to use one instead of a yellow as I like the effect a bit better. Blue filters don't tend to have much use in B&W as they generally reduce rather than increase contrast between tones.

The tricolour could be possibly used for colour calibration or colour separation purposes as that's what the three individual tricolour filters are typically used for, but I can't think why you'd want them in one filter. The bicolour one you could possibly use to get a differing tonal rendition with the foreground and background (e.g a sky and the ground), but again I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that and the effect would be very apparent unless you could line it up exactly.

Well you can use the top right hand one with B&W film very well, its a yellow-green filter which gives a similar rendition to a yellow filter, but slightly lightens green tones rather than darkening; I tend to use one instead of a yellow as I like the effect a bit better. Blue filters don't tend to have much use in B&W as they generally reduce rather than increase contrast between tones.

Yes, I agree about the green filter, could be used in B&W and I will try it soon, and forget about the blue ones, at the moment I do not see them of any use, but I'm still open to ideas. :)

The tricolour could be possibly used for colour calibration or colour separation purposes as that's what the three individual tricolour filters are typically used for, but I can't think why you'd want them in one filter. The bicolour one you could possibly use to get a differing tonal rendition with the foreground and background (e.g a sky and the ground), but again I'm not sure why anyone would want to do that and the effect would be very apparent unless you could line it up exactly.

There are some examples using the bi-color on Fliskr, as you said, they used it to get a differing tonal rendition with the foreground and background (e.g a sky and the ground), but the tri-color is a big mistery, but not a rarity, searching on Ebay found that Hama also have the same filter with the colors in the same position, so there must be a purpose for it.

I see now... difficult to find how to use it with the kind of photo I do, but will keep it in mind.

Thanks Samuel and Richard for your help! (y)

Back