big dead spider

Name
kev
Edit My Images
Yes
actually he doesnt look too dead in these but he is most definatly dead after being discovered almost about to go up the hoover!

let me know your views and most likely any improvements :)

bert 2.jpg by kevaylett, on Flickr

not sure what the f stop you was using just looks little out of focus to me .. plus looks like he has bad case of dandruff lol .. do like it tho

erm..................

I'm going to be totally blunt here Kev,

Unfortunately, there's nothing positive I can give about the shot. It's cluttered due to all the dust on it. It's completely out of focus.

On a dead spider, there's no reason why you should be OOF. I suspect you've used a very wide open aperture which is useless for 99% of macro work unless you're not magnifying as much and really going for an artistic look.

I would have taken the opportunity to practice focusing on the eyes at F11.

thanks ianclark, bluntness is good, give me pointers to use in future, yes it is a wide open aperture but only because its knackered and on cheap tubes, i'll switch it to my nifty one day as that will hopefully give it better results,
in terms of removing dust from said creature how would you go about this? apart from finding a pristine one?

thanks ianclark, bluntness is good, give me pointers to use in future, yes it is a wide open aperture but only because its knackered and on cheap tubes, i'll switch it to my nifty one day as that will hopefully give it better results,
in terms of removing dust from said creature how would you go about this? apart from finding a pristine one?

you could try hoovering it :LOL:

LOL, I wouldn't bother so much trying to clean it, I'd just find another subject :).

As for future shots.

F/8.0 - F/14. I prefer F11 for pretty much everything macro based.
Shutter speed is subjective. If you're hand held, then 1/125th - 1/200th is fine.
Flash - Again subjective. If you need it, use it and diffuse it.
ISO 100 - 200. Alternatively, use a higher ISO if not using flash and wish to keep shutter speed fast but be wary of digital noise.

The slower the shutter, the more requirement for IS or a Tripod. On a dead or subject that is not or was not a creature of some sort, you can afford to go slower on the shutter so long as the camera is tripod mounted.

Even some bugs can be photographed with slower shutters provided they don't move and the camera is tripod mounted or you're capable of being a statue :)

Back