Big problem.

Name
Jordie
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey all.

Basically I said I would re install windows on my brothers mates computer.

He has said that it turned on went on for a little while and then turned off.

Simple I thought I have the disk etc.. just need to re format the hard drive etc...

No longer the case.

I am now getting a screen just after the boot screen with BIOS and boot menus. which looks like this

DSC_0001-4.jpg

If any of you know how to unlock the system you would be a life saver and all.

Just for the record machine is an "E Machines E4076"

Thanks again. Jordie

Edit::

Just found this on Yahoo Answers.

This is a password for the bios. Without knowing the password the easiest way/only way to get by this is by poping out the CMOS battery on the motherboard. Once it is out just pop it right back in and start up the computer after everything is put back together and there should no longer be a prompt. If you don't know what it is it's the silver circular thing located on the circuit board inside your computer. If you don't know anything about how-to ground yourself or using a ESD strap I don't reccomend doing this because if you don't know what your doing you will fry your componets or perhaps even your entire motherboard.

It looks like a standard bios password request and nothing to do with windows itself :(

The only way I know of removing the password is to remove the battery on the motherboard and then replacing it, this can wipe the password.

However, I've never tried it :(

I'd suggest you look at one of the large dedicated computer forums for advice!

I take it your brothers mate doesn't know the password either?

http://www.tech-faq.com/reset-bios-password.shtml
http://www.freelabs.com/~whitis/security/backdoor.html

Unfortunatly he doesnt.

He only gave me minimal details when talking about it the other day :bang:

Three options :

1) Pop the BIOS battery out for a couple of minutes
2) Short the CMOS reset jumper on the motherboard (same effect as 1)
3) Find out what motherboard/BIOS is installed on the computer. Most motherboards have 'skeleton password' that will unlock it, no matter what the password was set to (Secure huh? :))

Three options :

1) Pop the BIOS battery out for a couple of minutes
2) Short the CMOS reset jumper on the motherboard (same effect as 1)
3) Find out what motherboard/BIOS is installed on the computer. Most motherboards have 'skeleton password' that will unlock it, no matter what the password was set to (Secure huh? :))

Have done 1, will have another look for 3 and will have a think about number 2 :p

what make machine is it (dont say toshiba)

Just for the record machine is an "E Machines E4076"

I think the battery might need replacing :(

Thanks for the paswords though :D

I think the battery might need replacing :(

Thanks for the paswords though :D

This is a bit weird really - if the battery dies the password should not be set. The passwrod mode should not be set on any BIOS unless you specifically went in and enabled it. Battery depleting should not have effect on this either because it will in this case just revert to the defaults and those are never password protected.

Basically as it was said here, you should follow the procedure of resetting the BIOS (with jumpers or just taking the battery out and leaving it for a long time - overnight).

If the password have not been enabled explicitly, you may have a point of concern here because there used to be a few viruses that mangle with the BIOS settings on some types of motherboards. Can't say what it was but I remember reading about it...

I did this once, my brother in law wanted a CDRW in his old PC, I had one so said i'd put it in, it killed his PC, returned all sorts of errors that took me hours to sort out.

Never again , I just play dumb now :D

Taken from intel site

jumper.jpg

Clearing BIOS passwords

Solution:

CAUTION: To guard against electrical shock, always power off and un-plug your computer from the electrical outlet before opening the cover.

Before You Begin:

Ensure the computer and any attached devices are powered off.
Disconnect the computer from the power source.
Remove the computer cover.
Clearing the Password:

Place the configuration jumper on pins 2-3.
Plug-in the computer to the power source and power on the computer. The computer starts the Setup program and the Maintenance menu is displayed.
Select Clear Passwords and press Enter. A confirm dialog window is displayed.
Select Yes and press Enter. The Maintenance menu is displayed.
Press F10 to save the current values and exit Setup.
Restarting the System:

Power off the computer and disconnect it from the power source.
Place the configuration jumper on pins 1-2.
Replace the cover.
Plug-in the computer to the power source and power on the computer.

Back