Bird ID please.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I got about 6 shots of this speedy little one, at some distance. Only one came any where near clear.

I'd appreciate an ID

Canon50D1789.jpg

I think that may be a Barred Warbler female, rare in certain parts.

Last edited:
Don't think it's a cettis, they are a red brown colour and the tail is quite broad. I think this one is either a willow warbler or a chiffchaff.

Just at a tricky angle for positive ID, but the green tinge makes me think Willow Warbler too.

I would favour Chiffchaff, a hint of dark leg and a flatter top to the head. But its a awkward angle to be sure.

I think this one is either a willow warbler or a chiffchaff.

:agree: ... and if you heard it singing... :shrug: ... that would be the easiest way to decide between these two... :D ... otherwise you might dump this in the 'Don't know' folder too... ;)

:p

Thanks all :) It looks like chiff chaff/willow warbler gets the vote :)

I wish I had'nt been so delete button happy with the other oof shots I got. One of them probably would have had enough detail to nail the ID as one or the other. In the meantime I'm happy to have seen it and will watch out for it in future to get a better shot.

No singing I'm afraid Ven.

Still a good shot and i would also say Willow or Chiffchaff dark legs would put me down the road of Chiffchaff though. (y)

No singing I'm afraid Ven.

Shame as that is the only sure fire way to tell these two lbj's apart... :shrug: ... unless you get it in the hands of a ringer... :cautious:

Keep your ears as well as your eyes peeled next time... ;)

Shame as that is the only sure fire way to tell these two lbj's apart... :shrug: ... unless you get it in the hands of a ringer... :cautious:

Keep your ears as well as your eyes peeled next time... ;)

Peeled they will be :D

I know the chiff chaff song well, I've been trying to capture one for some time. I was listening for its call, having heard it there before, but not this time.

Still, from it's dark legs as Cuddy and John pointed out, I lean towards chiffchaff at the moment.

Back