Bird ID? Probably something Dull

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking either Magpie or hooded crow?

I was hoping for something more exciting, but I've just had a quick look on the RSPB, and it appears it might be quite dull :crying::LOL:

bird.jpg

oh, and sorry about the pic :D

When I was a laddie growing up in the Glen we had about 200 of these nested every year in the rough pasture beside our house. I will never forget their call & that amazing flight. Now none nest there:shrug:

When I was a laddie growing up in the Glen we had about 200 of these nested every year in the rough pasture beside our house. I will never forget their call & that amazing flight. Now none nest there:shrug:

I can remember always seeing these as a nipper, loads of em.
Not seen them in qty for ages though :(

There was only this one where I was, maybe two tops, certainly no more..

I see they've got Amber Status on the RSBP site:

The RSPB said:
Amber list criteria

* Historical population decline during 1800–1995, but recovering; population size has more than doubled over last 25 years
* Moderate (25-49%) decline in UK breeding population over last 25 years
* Moderate (25-49%) contraction of UK breeding range over last 25 years
* Moderate (25-49%) decline in UK non-breeding population over last 25 years
* Species with unfavourable conservation status in Europe (SPEC = Species of European Conservation Concern)
* Five-year mean of 1–300 breeding pairs in UK
* > or =50% of UK breeding population in 10 or fewer sites, but not rare breeders
* > or =50% of UK non-breeding population in 10 or fewer sites
* > or =20% of European breeding population in UK
* > or =20% of NW European (wildfowl), East Atlantic Flyway (waders) or European (others) non-breeding populations in UK

I sometimes see fairly large flocks on the fields near Arbroath in the winter time. The Glen these days is very quiet. No peewits (Lapwing) Little or no Curlew now either

Used to get hundreds of them in the fields, couldn't move for em :shrug:

The times they are a changing:(

They are indeed. Anybody reading this will be saying how old as those two:LOL:
Maybe I should write a book about my childhood in the Glen. It might sell two copies:LOL:

They are indeed. Anybody reading this will be saying how old as those two:LOL:
Maybe I should write a book about my childhood in the Glen. It might sell two copies:LOL:

True mate, true :LOL:

Scary thing is neither of us are that old, things have changed this much in the past 20-30yrs, which would put us both as small boys :D

True mate, true :LOL:

Scary thing is neither of us are that old, things have changed this much in the past 20-30yrs, which would put us both as small boys :D

Think I might have a year or two more than you on this earth though:LOL:

It occurred to me last night after I went off that I kinda took over your thread Mattyh. Sorry about that. Just remembering the "old days":shrug:

Ha, no problems mate, I've got no problem with people taking over threads :)

The question was answered, and I quite enjoyed your reminiscing (that can't be spelt right!!)

Reminded me how young I still am :LOL: ;) :D:D

Thanks a bunch, young un :razz:
I tend to have lots of stories stored in my head & sometimes I forget that folks are not really that interested:LOL:

We have occasional lapwing and curlew over here, north west England, nothing like numbers previous though.

Back