Bird ID

hashcake

Gone to pot!
Name
Darran, Daz or ****
Edit My Images
Yes

I know it's a tit but not sure if it's a marsh or willow?
A couple of friends say it's a marsh and couple of others think it's a willow.
So I decided that this place would be the best place to confirm which one it is :D

Last edited:
This is quite a hard one but it has a glossy cap on it's head and the black under it's beak doesn't look that large so would be more inclined to say it was a Marsh than a Willow. Willows tend to have a dull head cap and the black under the beak is normally larger than the Marsh (even though the black under the chin looks mid length as opposed to smaller or large. Also the wings look lighter which would suggest a Willow. It's all very confusing haha.

Would be keen to see what others say.

Last edited:
This is quite a hard one but it has a glossy cap on it's head and the black under it's beak doesn't look that large so would be more inclined to say it was a Marsh than a Willow. Willows tend to have a dull head cap and the black under the beak is normally larger than the Marsh (even though the black under the chin looks mid length as opposed to smaller or large. Also the wings look lighter which would suggest a Willow. It's all very confusing haha.

Would be keen to see what others say.

I've been comparing photos of a willow and a marsh and I'm still none the wiser :LOL:

Looks very much like a Black-capped chickadee, North American song bird of the tit family. I doubt it would be blown off course this far,but,with the storms we have been getting from east coast who knows.

Marsh Tit.

Last edited:

This is another from the same area and shoot and the general consensus is that it's a marsh tit.

Both Marsh and Willow tits are actually chickadees. Bestbeloved says the telling feature is the patch of white (or not) at the base of the beak. I cannot actually remember which has the patch of white.

I would say a Marsh Tit, especially if it was near a feeding area.

Thanks everyone

This is another from the same area and shoot and the general consensus is that it's a marsh tit.

The white at the base of the bill is a clincher, marsh tit.

Back