Bird Portrait but what is it ...?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
Last edited:
Common buzzard, nice potrait shot by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
North American Harris Hawk colouring is a reddish brown.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions (y) Still not totally sure what it is though .. however, I suspect that it is indeed a 'common buzzard'

Thanks again

Red tail hawk 99.9%
Ferruginous hawk .1%

Oh and BTW Harris' Hawks are Central / south American RTH are North American (y)

North American Harris Hawk colouring is a reddish brown.

Last edited:
moulting HH in a similar pose
one of my working guys

HH2.jpg

Last edited:
I Knew I had one laying around somewhere ( crap I know)

RTH

Last edited:
Ah! ... Thanks again .... So it's a red tail hawk then :cool:

The Harris Hawk is native to the central part of the Americas, southern North America down throughout much of South America. There is some evidence that they are spreading their range further into North America. Like many other raptors, the population of Harris Hawks is currently on the decline. There are two subspecies of Harris Hawk, Parabuteo unicinctus harrisi is found mainly in North America down through to northern South America & generally referred to as Harris Hawk & Parabuteo unicinctus unicinctus found mainly in South America & is generally referred to as Bay-Winged Hawk.

Information from the Raptor Centre

The Harris Hawk is native to the central part of the Americas, southern North America down throughout much of South America.

I thought thats what I had said (y)
There is some evidence that they are spreading their range further into North America. Like many other raptors, the population of Harris Hawks is currently on the decline. There are two subspecies of Harris Hawk, Parabuteo unicinctus harrisi is found mainly in North America down through to northern South America & generally referred to as Harris Hawk & Parabuteo unicinctus unicinctus found mainly in South America & is generally referred to as Bay-Winged Hawk.

Information from the Raptor Centre

There is only on true species of Harris' hawk ( to give it its correct name (') ) Parabuteo unicinctus
buteo, or buzzard (/ buzzard like,) uni meaning once; and cinctus meaning once girdled or banded, referring to the white band at the tip of the train or tail feathers

there are 2 generally accepted sub-species
( and others still being argued about and will be for many years to come no doubt )

The Larger P. u. superior
and the smaller ( and usually darker) P.u. Mexicanii

The harris' hawk is the only broad wing to hunt in a "group"
(or cast to give the falconers term and can be used to great advantage in falconry.)
With the older siblings largely teaching the current years siblings to hunt.

Only the US falconers call them the "Bay winged hawk" BTW
Although they have been bred in the UK for around 40 years now they never really lost their fear of dogs,
( think Coyote in the wild) but this can be over come with careful "manning"
and will work quite successfully with HPR's ( hunt point retrieve breeds)

Source me falconer for over 15 years both here and stateside

Back