London Birding at Richmond Park

Edit My Images
Yes
I have been to Richmond Park a number of times but mostly with family or for the deer. Never really paid much attention to finding birds in the park until recently.
Considering the how large the area is I imagine it can be challenge to find some interesting birds or pin point specific areas in the park. But I was wondering if there were any hot spots or good spots to go for finding some birds (that's not crows or parakeets which are everywhere!).

My preferred car park is the Broomfield car park but Penn's pond car park isn't all that bad to get to for me.

Any tips or advice on this front appreciated :)

generally the skylarks are found in fields adjacent to Penn Ponds. But during nesting season the ground is marked of with access on the paths only. I think Richmond Park is pretty barren for bird life, mainly due to the predominance of invasive species (parakeets, Egyptian geese etc)

I have seen some woodpeckers, treecreepers etc in the wooded area near Penn Ponds.

If you feel its barren, do you know of a better area/place to go birding?

Little owl wooded area opp the dance school
All the tits, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Tawny Owl . Issabella Plantation
Green Woodpecker on the ant hills around the park
Kestrel around the park
But the parakeets are taking over for sure

It has some very long while since I/we have been to Richmond Park.

Even longer ago I went/played there very regularly as we lived so very nearby to Roehampton Gate. On occasion I would put my wellies on and walk along Beverley Brook under the wall to Palewell(query the spelling?) Park(playground area). I even did my A Level biology project with Parks permission in one of the fenced off woods though cannot recall exactly which one!

Saw Stonechats near the row of large oaks not far from the deer nursery enclosure(?) at the start of October. Apologies for the vague description only my first visit!

Little owl wooded area opp the dance school
All the tits, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Tawny Owl . Issabella Plantation
Green Woodpecker on the ant hills around the park
Kestrel around the park
But the parakeets are taking over for sure

And the crows. when I was near the dance school it was as if they had taken over the little owl perches in the dead tree trunks.

Kestrels near Penn Ponds, not last time I was there... seen plenty of green woodpeckers. But lockdown made it busier this year to be sure.

Saw Stonechats near the row of large oaks not far from the deer nursery enclosure(?) at the start of October. Apologies for the vague description only my first visit!

Yes seen them and got a couple nice pictures too. Posted one of them in the birds section

Bushy Park has the ring neck parakeets - If that floats ya boat ? :)

GhgG2oE.jpg

Les :)

If you feel its barren, do you know of a better area/place to go birding?

I think of the royal parks bushy ( for some reason) is a better location. If you don't mind a half hours drive the commons on the Surrey hills are far better

GhgG2oE.jpg

Have a ton of these in my garden :D
They are everywhere and annoying because they are so loud they mask the singing of all other birds, they drive away poor woodpeckers from their tree holes, they are chasing away other wildlife. All in all they don't belong IMO.

I think of the royal parks bushy ( for some reason) is a better location. If you don't mind a half hours drive the commons on the Surrey hills are far better

I have been to Bushy park plenty times again with family mostly because it's easier to get to in the afternoons than Richmond park due to traffic.

If you mean the AONB between Dorking and Guildford it's massive, wouldn't know where to start lol. It's 45 minutes which is still do-able.

If you mean the AONB between Dorking and Guildford it's massive, wouldn't know where to start lol. It's 45 minutes which is still do-able.

I did mean that. The areas I particularly like are Puttenham common (use the top car park) or Frensham Little Pond.

GhgG2oE.jpg

I loathe them, when we lived in Hampton they gradually took over the garden and in the end virtually all the other birds stayed away. The noise they make is just not that of a UK garden, I really missed the local bird song. Where we live now is not exactly a birding paradise but at least there are none of the little green monsters.
I've heard they're making plans........:eek:

I did mean that. The areas I particularly like are Puttenham common (use the top car park) or Frensham Little Pond.

those are around 30miles give or take. in lockdown times not sure going that far is responsible thing to do.

Even so I am looking for a couple places I can regularly visit and make it kind of a base for me. Those could work but not ideal to just pop down in 15-20 minutes.

Hello everyone,
I will go to Richmond park this Thursday (1 July) late afternoon and then back at dawn on Friday (I am staying at a friend's place near the park). I used to know a tree with a resident little owl but one day I went back and the tree was no more (burnt?) not far from the main pond. Never seen another owl and I am not the best at spotting them. Anyone can give me some directions to an area where I could find one? Or some tips. Many thanks!

Last time I saw them was at Duchess Wood (near the Ballet School) and by Storms Wood, but I haven's seen them for a while - was going to go this evening (should be quiet!) but the weather isn't great. They are around, but never when you are there.

Skylarks are active but again I only heard them.

I go Nordic Walking in the park at least once a week so camera plus lens isn't practical otherwise I would've had a cracking shot of a Stonechat. We walked through Duchess Wood last night and saw nothing apart from Crows.

Thanks Wizard! I have little hopes to see anything then. Will photograph deer zzZzzZ

They are around. If you walk over the skylark field front Pen Ponds to Queens Ride you may be lucky to find them in the trees by Queens Ride. Ive seen then there recently.

Sadly, Im coming to the conclusion that RP is becoming more and more like a zoo with the encouragement of invasive species and Wimbledon Common, which is very close, has a far better diversity of bird life

Back