Birding lens recommendation for Sony A7

Edit My Images
No
I have been doing some bird photography and the need for a long lens for my A7 is becoming apparent. There is nothing in the FE lineup.' A' mount has some nice long Sony lenses but they are unstabilised and this is an application where stabilisation is useful, Only Sigma seem to produce a stabilised long (400-500mm) tele in A mount.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Good suggestion, thank you, but unfortunately the 'vibration control' is not included on Sony fit Tamrons and the A7 is unstabilised.

IS may not be essential but does help at the higher limits of hand held shooting.

Ah I must have mis read your post- I had the Sigma 150-500mm prior to my Tamron, what not give the 150-600mm Sigma a look?

Les

The Sigma 150-500 is currently my favoured option, what did you think of it?

Thanks for all the comments and pictures. Less than 400-500mm focal length doesn't meet my needs and 600mm is even better, all of which puts me into the market for a Sigma 'A' mount 150-500mm or 150-600mm DG OS as this is the only long lens with image stabilisation. If I drop the need for IS then Sony/Minolta or Tamron is also possible including the excellent Sony 70-400mm G lens.

However, a comment elsewhere makes me think about buying an A6000 instead of a longer lens. Just using the APS option on the A7 offers no image benefit (just crops automatically to about 10Mpx) though it makes framing a bit easier but a good APS camera with the 300mm lens which I already have is pretty much as good as a 450mm lens on full frame. It could be a reasonably good option if the ergonomics and focusing are OK. Cost wise it will be much the same or less and will be lighter to carry.

I just don't like the idea of multiple bodies, lenses don't drop in value as fast as bodies do.

Back