birding/wildlife locations in North London.

Name
Piotr
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm moving to North London(Oakwood) mid January and was wondering if you know any interesting locations especially for birding. I know about Lee Valey Park and Epping Forest. Being used to live in a countryside for years, I'm quite depressed thinking that when I go out I won't see a red kite soaring above or LTT hiding in the bushes, etc.

Red kites are unlikely (but just give them time) but you will probably see LTT - I see then fairly regularly tumbling through the bushes near the end of the garden.

There are many places in and around London that are excellent for birding. If you know Lee Valley Park and Epping Forest then you have a lot to investigate, though for both your own transport would be best.

Another couple that are accessible by public transport are the Wildfowl and Wetlands Centre at Barnes - not been myself but from what I hear it is well worth it - and Rainham Marshes. Being almost surrounded by the Thames, the Dartford crossing, the Eurostar line and a landfill site doesn't sound promising, but it is excellent.

You may have seen this link already, but it has a few other suggestions.

http://www.janja.dircon.co.uk/rspb/where.html

Dave

ok, first off, assuming you mean oakwood near enfield, you can walk straight into Trent Park and see all the birds you want, from sparrows to kingfishers. There is woodland, open grassy fields, arable farm land and a large lake, so loads of wildlife environments.

I live down the road btw, and last summer, sitting in the garden, saw kites more then once. They are not yet regular, nor quite low enough to watch without good bins, but I reckon give it a year or two and you should be able to think about photographing them (y)

I also get all manner of birds on my garden feeders, including LTT's, siskins, goldies, greenfinches, blue/coal/great tits, the usual 'common' suspects of robins, dunnocks, blackbirds, magpies and jays, etc. We get redwings in the tree at the back of the garden, GSW's on the feeder, green woodies on the lawn, wrens in the shrubs. Oakwood is MUCH nearer the open farmland of hertfordshire than I am, so if you have a garden, you should soon be attracting and equal range of species if you want to.

Please dont think nth London is devoid of wildlife and birds, because it is a long way from the truth, I promise! :)

wow Yvonne! I honestly didn't realised that London would be so rich with birds. I now Oakwood is like a countryside;) but I wouldn't expect kingfishers anywhere near London. I was a bit depressed at the beginning but now I'm getting excited. It seems that I won't have to give up my hobby!

:LOL: You will not have to give up your hobby, nor even travel very far, trust me, you have so much on your doorstep. Yes, it's not quite the countryside, though not far off, and you have to accept that you probably more than the wildlife will be disturbed by more people being around, but it is definitely there. There is a woodland not far from Oakwood in Oakhill Park, East Barnet, which was, last time I checked, home to lesser spotted woodpeckers. I read up in them a couple of years ago, so hopefully they still have a home there, though actually seeing them might be a different matter :LOL:

Oh, Trent Park also has deer, don't ask me what type, I have no idea, so far I haven't personally seen them, only tracks & faeces and at a guess, a smaller species, muntjac maybe. I did once meet a lady walking her dog early one morning who had seen a group of 6 or 7 in the woods 20 mins earlier, so I keep hoping (y) We also saw grass snakes there this summer, right by the woodland car parks too. The whole area is managed to encourage wildlife.

In Autumn we regularly get a Tawny Owl in the trees just along from our garden, love just listening to the calls and just occasionally seeing that dark shadow swoop overhead not much higher than the roofline.

I am not a regular wildlife photographer, but enjoy it as a hobby when I get time/motivated so if I get chance over the next week or so, will try and put a set together on flickr or something of everything I have shot locally for you. ;)

Finally, a bit further away, but fine if you have transport, is the RSPB centre at Rye Meads, an excellent place I have visited several times and perfect for bird/wildlife photographers. Its on their site for more info.

Meanwhile, Happy New Year, and I hope you can look forward to discovering a whole new area in 2012 :D :hug2:

Just did a quick count of the birds I've seen in or from the back garden here in east London - 30 species (29 natives and ring-necked parakeets). Top one in the garden just now is the goldfinch - I can't remember the last time we didn't have at least 8 in several times a day.

London has loads of green spaces in which almost anything can turn up.

Even in town its worth keeping a look out eg., during the summer you are fairly sure of seeing a peregrine around the Tate Modern.

Dave

Tringa said:
Just did a quick count of the birds I've seen in or from the back garden here in east London - 30 species (29 natives and ring-necked parakeets). Top one in the garden just now is the goldfinch - I can't remember the last time we didn't have at least 8 in several times a day.

London has loads of green spaces in which almost anything can turn up.

Even in town its worth keeping a look out eg., during the summer you are fairly sure of seeing a peregrine around the Tate Modern.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I'll start my observation as soon as I'll move in. I have a garden and now I'm thinking about buying/making small hide.
Yvonne has got a beautiful set on her flickr showing a variety of species in the area. Its really impressive.

And if you venture into town, there's the famous peregrine site near the Tate Modern, and the east end often sees Black Redstarts in season.

The RSPB set up public viewing from the south side of Millenium Bridge each spring and put a webcam on the nest. They say the birds tend to perch on the leeward side of the chimney!

Back