Bit of advice needed!

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

ok, here's the scene:

I'm currently doing a website for a local garage, my simple brief is to take photos of each mechanic (probably doing something, but looking at the camera in a candid sort of way - does that make sense?)

Then a group shot (the team!)

Then some of individuals doing specific tasks - more focus on the task than the person.

we're not talking portraits here, or any competition winning pics, but I want them to look good

equipment available Nikon D40, Sigma 10 -20mm and Nikon 70-300 VR. and of course the 18 -55 kit lens

The advice I'd really like is: what lens (I'm thinking the kit lens) settings (I think I need a flash, but don't want the pics to look rough!! blurred background would be great but not sure of which settings to use?)

And generally, any tips for getting a good pic, and not making myself look the amateur I really am!!!!!!!!!!

And the last thing, I'd like the individual shots of the mechanics to smile, but naturally, how do you get someone to have that Natural smile???? do you say things like "smile ya bitch" or is there a more professional way??!!!!!!!!!!!

Any help would be much appreciated, but I do also realise that I'm asking a lot...that's what comes of being caught out after a couple of beers in the pub!!!! :bonk:

Wide angle lenses are not good for portraits.

I would try the 70-300 and 18-55. Do you have some light? Garages can be quite dark.

Also I think I may have put this in the wrong place....sorry guys, if any one can, woud you mind putting it in the correct category??!!!

Thanks in advance

Wide angle lenses are not good for portraits.

I would try the 70-300 and 18-55. Do you have some light? Garages can be quite dark.

Hi Cowasaki, yeah I'm tending to keep the siggy firmly in its case!!

And yes it's pretty dark in there, which is adding to my fear!!! I think the 70-300 would be good as long as I have a clear view, and also if I used the flash would it reach if I'm a fare way away??

Presumbly the garage owner has the approval of the mechanics to have their photos take? That would be my first question.
As for getting a mechanic to smile, how about just after a spanner has slipped and hurt himself. What a photo of a mechanic with a very pained expression on his face, Now that would be a really natural picture.

Realspeed

Last edited:
Hi Cowasaki, yeah I'm tending to keep the siggy firmly in its case!!

And yes it's pretty dark in there, which is adding to my fear!!! I think the 70-300 would be good as long as I have a clear view, and also if I used the flash would it reach if I'm a fare way away??

Do you have an extra flash? The onboard isn't going to be brilliant with a long lens. You might need to up the ISO and shoot near the door with the sun streaming in. This is where I would employ the Safari lights but maybe you could experiment with a car head light for an effect.

Presumbly the garage owner has the approval of the mechanics to have their photos take? That would be my first question.
As for getting a mechanic to smile, how about just after a spanner has slipped and hurt himself. What a photo of a mechanic with a very pained expression on his face, Now that would be a really natural picture.

Realspeed

Yes Realspeed, they are all aware and happy to have their pics taken, this is a proper village garage, and as I know them very well, I know what sense of humour each has, it's trying to get that in a pic!!!

Got to be honest, I wouldn't want to take my car to a place where the mechanic (apparently) is always hurting himself!!!!! but I can see where you're coming from, and blimey that would be the mother of all natural photos!!!!!! but alas, I need to just capture the glint in the eye rather than the blood pumping from the finger type photo!!!!!!!!!!!

there are only 4 of them and from my observations there is one (the boss) who is a bit mad! one who has a very very dry sense of humour, number 3 has a sympathetic approach, and the boy who has only been there 6 months and to be honest is a bit dim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a tricky one!!

Do you have an extra flash? The onboard isn't going to be brilliant with a long lens. You might need to up the ISO and shoot near the door with the sun streaming in. This is where I would employ the Safari lights but maybe you could experiment with a car head light for an effect.

No I don't have any extra flash, but there are a set of 2 x 500w halogen lights on a tripod available, but I'm worried in case it looks a bit like a dodgy film set if I use them

I've actually got a similar one to shoot when I get a minute. I'll likely do the mechanic working on car shots outside and all the indoor stuff I'll do with a tripod, I'll be unlikely to use flash unless I really have to to be honest.

I'm currently doing a website for a local garage, my simple brief is to take photos of each mechanic

I think that might answer your question bazza? it would be strange if the guy was briefed to take pictures and then told he wasn't allowed to. really strange...

I'd use the kit lens and flash personally. If you can get the flash off camera that'd be better but if not no worries - look for white or reflective surfaces to bounce it off (ceilings/walls etc) and if you must use direct on-camera flash turn the power right down and use it as a fill flash. but i'm guessing it'll be too dark to not use a flash (unless you've got a good camera with good iso handling).

as mentioned try not to use the wide end of the lens unless you need to get up close, (under a car for example) in which case try and keep your subject in the middle of the frame to avoid distorting them too much. I've seen some great portraits taken using the sigma 10-20 and a ring flash so it's all about how you execute your shot! the edges of the frame will distort it.

as for getting people to laugh "smile ya bitch!" will do nicely. Obviously use your own judgement but anything to break the ice will do. I got my first model to stick her tongue out, she did and a smile followed and i was ready to capture it :)

hope that helps. Why not have a practice in your own garage? it might help you find your settings without having to mess around on the day.

Tim

Thank you guys for all your help, Tim I didn't even know I could turn the power right down on my built-in flash...but yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant.

I think I'm going to go with the kit lens, and lowered flash, and see how I go, I can always go back and redo them if need be.

So thanks again for all your help, i'll let you know the outcome!!!

Cheers

Neill

Back