Bit Of An Odd DIY Sort Of Question

Name
April 2008
Edit My Images
No
Ok, hope I can explain this ok...

I want to try a small product shot with like a spotlight illuminating just a small portion of the item. Much in the same way that on a stage, a spotlight creates like a shaft of light, illuminating just a small circle on the stage.

Does anyone know how I would do this on a small scale?

A table lamp just illuminates a huge area.

I was thinking maybe making like a black funnel to go on the end of a spotlight, so the light just came out of small hole in the end. If that makes sense.

I don't know whether this is "adaptable" or not but when I was
just arseing about I put a thin tube about 2" dia. over the onboard flash
and took a low light picture across the room (about 15 feet) mostly it was very dark apart from a "circle" perfectly lit.
that may give you a starting point :shrug:

Ok, hope I can explain this ok...

I want to try a small product shot with like a spotlight illuminating just a small portion of the item. Much in the same way that on a stage, a spotlight creates like a shaft of light, illuminating just a small circle on the stage.

Does anyone know how I would do this on a small scale?

A table lamp just illuminates a huge area.

I was thinking maybe making like a black funnel to go on the end of a spotlight, so the light just came out of small hole in the end. If that makes sense.

How big an area do you want to illuminate? Maglight torches can vary their beam, but you'd need to diffuse the light as it has a very specific pattern that may be picked up - however, diffusing the light could negate the effect you need.

I would aim for an LED based lamp as IMO, their output is much more uniform than a conventional bulb. They also do not get as hot, and having a "funnel" near a spotlamp with a regular bulb is asking for fire trouble if it's left there for any length of time.

I was thinking maybe a 10cm diameter spot would be fine for starters. TBH, sorting something that works at any kind of small size would be fine. And I could presumably make it larger/smaller by increasing/decreasing distance to 'landing spot'

What you need is called a "snoot" Dead easy to make see here, keep reading onto part 2 as it shows you the different light patterns produced :)

A black funnel with the black straws would probably be a good combination but remember if you stick anything over a light that is on continually it is going to get VERY hot so only have it on for the minimum time.

How about something like a large fizzy drink bottle painted black with straws or something similar in the end placed over a spotlight

Back