Black and white negatives going brown...

robhooley167

Sir, my fingers are stuck together
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Gang

A rather odd problem here, one roll of my black and white negatives have started to go brown in an odd pattern, I wouldn't be that bothered about it but it was my first roll of film and holds some sentimental value (even though its in fairly rough shape) BTW the film was HP5+ Devved in DD-X over a year ago

I tried cleaning them with Isopropyl Alcohol and it made no difference as the staining appears to be inside the emulsion. As a bit of a hail Mary I'm going to give them a wash in some fixer and see if that does anything.

The patterns on the third photo are due to the neg sleeve getting crinkled

Has anyone experienced this or know of a solution?

Here are some photos of what i'm rambling on about

cd33f578.jpg

a77b0c85.jpg

8348e90a.jpg

Doing the Google seems to think that Fixer is still present on the film because it has not been washed off.

Photo.net in 2007 had a big dicsussion about it sayign that Ilfords times for washing were insufcient.

Not sure how to fix it other than fixing again and rewashing :shrug:

However saying that I don't think I have any of my negs gone brown, even those deved years ago.

I remember washing these for about 10 minutes in continually running water, then saying to myself that I would never do it again for this long and haven't had any problems with this. It's conceivable that I've spilt fixer on the sleeve in the darkroom though...

I'd have said fix not washed off too
I wash for 20 with running water

Same goes for dev'ing paper

you can't over fix (within reason), and you cant over wash, is how I learnt it.

So i refixed and washed them thoroughly, alas there was no change...

So i refixed and washed them thoroughly, alas there was no change...

I dont know that much about rectifying this kind of thing, but i would imagine you could'nt reverse the 'brown', more so just stabilize it from deteriorating any more.

Just a guess though :)

Back