Black Dog

Edit My Images
Yes
Taken from an assignment on the photo course I'm no longer on.

A colleague started taking some time off work. Whilst talking to him he revealed he was stressed, depressed, seeking and taking medication to combat the black dog, as he called it. Phrases from our conversations stuck and I wrote them down in my notebook. We spoke about black dog, he mentioned Churchill but I found it came from Samuel Johnson.

Samuel Johnson referred to it when discussing his own melancholia. In a letter to Mrs Thrale in 1783 he writes: "The black dog I hope always to resist, and in time to drive, though I am deprived of almost all those that used to help me…When I rise my breakfast is solitary, the black dog waits to share it, from breakfast to dinner he continues barking, except that Dr Brocklesby for a little keeps him at a distance…Night comes at last, and some hours of restlessness and confusion bring me again to a day of solitude. What shall exclude the black dog from a habitation like this?"

From a writing competition for the Black Dog Insitute, I found: The Dog bides its time. It’s an uneven attendant. Its absences are welcomed, but you know it’ll be back. Often now, its return catches you by surprise, and the creeping suspicion grows that the visits will never end. Lighten up, you urge yourself; manage the melancholy. Management is the key, you emphasise, almost believing it.

For now, the Black Dog comes. Never whistled, never welcome.

I'd sit with my colleague just having conversations, listening, sharing things I'd found.

Revisiting the phrases, I thought about using photography to describe some of the conversations we had, putting myself into the situation, using phrases he used, trying to describe feelings with images.

25245244041_18483c0525_z.jpg

25245244081_04a3cc2e46_z.jpg

24707704524_9612eac60f_z.jpg

25043125120_63d519f60d_z.jpg

25220079352_253f448000_z.jpg

We had conversations about him being damaged, how the dog damages you, which made me think about damaging the images in some way. After printing, some were clawed by our dog, or torn then re photographed.

These are a few of the full set, some are shot bright like the last, some dark to reflect the light and dark moments. They are currently boxed, put away, memories stored. It's taken a year for me to share some of these. My colleague is no longer with us.

Thank for posting these, and for the link, It is always said that photo projects should be about something you are interested in or have knowledge of and not the photography itself. As someone who suffers from this (and it usually stops me from wanting to take any images) maybe I should try and use it as a form of therapy.

Taken from an assignment on the photo course I'm no longer on.

A colleague started taking some time off work. Whilst talking to him he revealed he was stressed, depressed, seeking and taking medication to combat the black dog, as he called it. Phrases from our conversations stuck and I wrote them down in my notebook. We spoke about black dog, he mentioned Churchill but I found it came from Samuel Johnson.

Samuel Johnson referred to it when discussing his own melancholia. In a letter to Mrs Thrale in 1783 he writes: "The black dog I hope always to resist, and in time to drive, though I am deprived of almost all those that used to help me…When I rise my breakfast is solitary, the black dog waits to share it, from breakfast to dinner he continues barking, except that Dr Brocklesby for a little keeps him at a distance…Night comes at last, and some hours of restlessness and confusion bring me again to a day of solitude. What shall exclude the black dog from a habitation like this?"

From a writing competition for the Black Dog Insitute, I found: The Dog bides its time. It’s an uneven attendant. Its absences are welcomed, but you know it’ll be back. Often now, its return catches you by surprise, and the creeping suspicion grows that the visits will never end. Lighten up, you urge yourself; manage the melancholy. Management is the key, you emphasise, almost believing it.

For now, the Black Dog comes. Never whistled, never welcome.

I'd sit with my colleague just having conversations, listening, sharing things I'd found.

Revisiting the phrases, I thought about using photography to describe some of the conversations we had, putting myself into the situation, using phrases he used, trying to describe feelings with images.

25245244041_18483c0525_z.jpg

25245244081_04a3cc2e46_z.jpg

24707704524_9612eac60f_z.jpg

25043125120_63d519f60d_z.jpg

25220079352_253f448000_z.jpg

We had conversations about him being damaged, how the dog damages you, which made me think about damaging the images in some way. After printing, some were clawed by our dog, or torn then re photographed.

These are a few of the full set, some are shot bright like the last, some dark to reflect the light and dark moments. They are currently boxed, put away, memories stored. It's taken a year for me to share some of these. My colleague is no longer with us.

It seems to me that he was a friend as well as colleague, and that you had a deep relationship. I'm sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the comments. There's quite a lot on creativity being used to combat depression, or explain, when you start looking into it.

The font is my own handwriting, created using this, http://www.myscriptfont.com/, written using a pen and tablet, quite easy to do.
When first presented as an assignment, the images were boxed with the text on a cover sheet first, printed on tracing paper, with the image underneath.
Adding the text to the images was trying to find a way to present for the web, I'm not sure it works for the lighter images.

Back