Black mist soft focus any good?

Name
wayne clarke
Edit My Images
Yes
I came across Black Mist filters the other day and wondered if they are any good for portraits?,
I've got a few Cokin ones but I hate the filter system. I fancied a screw in one I can leave on a lens. I gather they come in different strengths? If so which one is a good effect?
Thanks.

I got a Tiffen Blacl Pro Mist, 1/8th. They just soften things up. Not cheap, but B&H sells them much cheaper than here.

I also have one that permanently lives on my X100.

Notice the light just have this haze/glow

X100

BTkBRo0.jpg

6C4ZOfc.jpg

A7R3

BIR8Onu.jpg

w22l1oi.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Raymond. I'm guessing I'd need a stronger version for a nice soft portrait?

I use these style filters most of the time. Not strictly for dedicated portrait shoots although I have shot portraits in more of an environmental style image with them.

I use the Cinebloom 10% and 20%

Thanks everybody. I'll watch the video when I get back, had a family drama so be gone for an hour or two. Cheers.

I have a black pro mist 1/8 on my Fuji X100f.

I think for me the effect is subtle and I really need to see with and without pictures side by side to see any difference. IMO processing makes a lot more difference to a picture than a filter of this sort.

Last edited:
Looking at the video I think it's going to be the 1/2, I'm after a fairly strong effect, The 2 is tempting but I'm wondering if it might be too much. Think I'll start with the 1/2 and see how it goes.
Thanks everybody.

Back