Black Nab

Edit My Images
Yes
Blacknab.jpg

C+C please dont hold back

Last edited:
Im no expert but i like it, but if you are looking for nit picking and im no pro and i wish i could get a shot like this the nab cuts right through the cload and unfortunatly thats all the cloud there is so stands out.
Still stunning shot

Im no expert but i like it, but if you are looking for nit picking and im no pro and i wish i could get a shot like this the nab cuts right through the cload and unfortunatly thats all the cloud there is so stands out.
Still stunning shot

Thank you for your comment. Thats something i had not noticed but will keep an eye out for that in future.

Would agree with the previous comment that it`s a lovely shot and if it could be faulted it`s the lack of cloud, but I love the colours and the compo. Nice one. (y)

Would agree with the previous comment that it`s a lovely shot and if it could be faulted it`s the lack of cloud, but I love the colours and the compo. Nice one. (y)

Thanks
The sky was a bit of a let down cloud wise.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you would need any critique on this? It is a lovely shot and if you have done any PP on it I think that it would be of great benefit to many if you would share a bit of your technique. I'm pretty certain I could not give you info to improve the shot. You are too good for me ..... !

Paul

I'm not sure why you would need any critique on this? It is a lovely shot and if you have done any PP on it I think that it would be of great benefit to many if you would share a bit of your technique. I'm pretty certain I could not give you info to improve the shot. You are too good for me ..... !

Paul

You are too kind Paul but thank you very much
Not done much really just the WB temp and tint in camera raw and a crop

I really like the colours and the ocean is a lovely flat calm giving you room for great reflections.

I do like, and yet I don't like the composition. I have plenty I have taken myself which make me feel the same way. The rocks on the right, would be nicer of they formed a path from the foreground to the mid ground, but at the moment they are all pushed towards the midground. The middle rock is almost touching the horizon, and the last rock is overlapping with it and lost.

The rock on the left and the sweeping curve, could have been brought into play a little more. Perhaps have the curve going all the up the left third!!

What do I know :D It's easy to sit here and say "Do this, Do that" - in principle its a lot harder in the field, and chances are you have done as well as I would have done with a similar setting, better perhaps.

Gary.

I really like the colours and the ocean is a lovely flat calm giving you room for great reflections.

I do like, and yet I don't like the composition. I have plenty I have taken myself which make me feel the same way. The rocks on the right, would be nicer of they formed a path from the foreground to the mid ground, but at the moment they are all pushed towards the midground. The middle rock is almost touching the horizon, and the last rock is overlapping with it and lost.

The rock on the left and the sweeping curve, could have been brought into play a little more. Perhaps have the curve going all the up the left third!!

What do I know :D It's easy to sit here and say "Do this, Do that" - in principle its a lot harder in the field, and chances are you have done as well as I would have done with a similar setting, better perhaps.

Gary.

Thank you for your comments Garry both the positive and negative

As you say its not always easy to get everything spot on

The stones on the horizon are massive and i was not up for moving them not even with the help of Diddy Dave :shake:

But i will take onboard what you have said

Thanks again

Gary.

All worthy comments Gary - but this is about as good as it gets at that place/time

The 'flat calm' sea is in fact one huge puddle over 50 yards long & wide and is rarely more than 3 inches deep. It's a very strange flat area near Black Nab with the sea itself being away in the distance and about 3ft below this plateau at low tide

The only way to separate the rock/horizon would be to climb up a few feet, but short of excelling at the Indian Rope Trick that's just not possible and going lower would lose the other rocks too

I've already told the OP of my slightly different crop, but that doesn't mean I'm any more right either

It was taken at stupid early hours (right up your street then Gary :LOL:) after a 12.30 a.m. set off time, arriving in total darkness and scrambling down a tricky cliff path with torches :wacky:

And I know because I was with him :D

DD

It was taken at stupid early hours (right up your street then Gary :LOL:) after a 12.30 a.m. set off time, arriving in total darkness and scrambling down a tricky cliff path with torches :wacky:

And I know because I was with him :D

DD

But it was fun :bonk::nuts: (y)

And home in time for breakfast what more could you want ?

Damn sounds like you guys had a blast!! Excellent time to go out :D Sounds like a trickier shot that I appreciated, I thought it was the sea :D

Gary.

Very nice. Lovely colours and like the reflections. What was the exposure time of this photo and did you use any filters?

Cheers,

John

Thanks.
To be honest i dont know the times it was long as it was pretty dark had the camera in Aperture priority.
No filters just a tweak of the WB in camera raw

a stunning image, not much cc needed, maybe id be tempted to clone out a few of the smaller marks in the water and possibly th very small rock just right of center. but then again, maybe not lol

a stunning image, not much cc needed, maybe id be tempted to clone out a few of the smaller marks in the water and possibly th very small rock just right of center. but then again, maybe not lol

Thanks for your kind words
The marks are seaweed and i feel they are part of the shot but i did think about it at first (y)

I keep on coming back to this image, feeling I should say smething, but not quite knowing what I should say.

It's not really working for me, but I can't pinpoint why.

I'd prefer more detail in black nab...
The colours aren't quite to my taste...
I feel the composition is almost like 2 pics glued together and either half would work ok without the other...

:shrug:

I keep on coming back to this image, feeling I should say smething, but not quite knowing what I should say.

I feel the composition is almost like 2 pics glued together and either half would work ok without the other...

Interesting comment there - I especially like the idea of having more detail in a black object taken at near darkness :D

But I often feel the same about mirror images myself, so I sort of get you - I still haven't processed mine yet either :shake: but I suspect they'd be much the same as this, as we hoped for intense dawn sky detail and there wasn't any

So what you're left with is a photo in near darkness of a black object reflected in a puddle - but I still like it :)

DD

Thank you for your comments
The colours seem to be your thing or not I have had comments both ways

i like it pretty much the way it is, i think the clouds being where they are work just fine. the 3 (ish) black rocks on the right hold the image well.

Back