Black Necked Grebe

They are a beautiful bird - nicely caught. I don't think you needed the 1.4 - although it is always nicer to get a closer shot

I've taken the liberty of embedding the image for you from your flickr stream so others can see easier.

Great capture...I would just love to SEE one...is he a Lancastrian one.

keith (y)

Nice shot Ian, careful about releasing location. Schedule 1 Breeding bird.

Nice shot Ian, careful about releasing location. Schedule 1 Breeding bird.

Thanks for the advice Brian, I have kept the location a secret as per my posting on Glamorgan Birders, sorry Mark. I have already had advice through my Flickr emails to keep location to myself :crying:

I thought it was a Little Grebe when I first saw it, I didn't have my binoculars with me ( Some advice here - don't go canoeing down the Wye with your mate, who thinks it's a good idea to grab some branches as you go down some rapids, because he's seen a pub. It won't put the brakes on. So we ended up getting VERY wet, hence no binoculars ) as he was diving in a similar fashion. When I got my iphone out and checked my Birdguide App I was landed.....

On my way back to the car I fell over :LOL: I thought I'd broken my ankle, luckily I was right by the car so got home as quick as I could whilst it was still numb. Been to A&E, not broken but I'm on crutches since so I haven't been able to get back to check on him :bonk:

Now wheres my receipt for those ' waterproof ' Minox binoculars :bang:

Ian

PS Thanks Richard for embedding the picture, much better.....

Last edited:
..............On my way back to the car I fell over I thought I'd broken my ankle,"...........he he ...sounds like me.....I once had my leg go down a Rabbit hole and hobbled a bit further but could not go on and guess what went down it AGAIN on the way back :bonk: :bonk:..same leg ...much pain for weeks :nuts: :wacky:

Keith (y)

p.s. I was not trying to find out the location :nono:..just thought it was one that was on the BBC last year from a reserve "up north".

Hi Mark,
It was a lone bird, but after all I read about the Dartford Warbler debacle on Glam. Birders, I decided on secrecy. The bizzare thing for me was, people were slating the documented whereabouts of the DW, then posting on other peoples threads raving about how good their pics of DW's were ????? ANY Dartie pics at this time of year singing on the tops of bushes, are almost definately defending their nest, be it by a well used path or not.....

Keith, do you wear a beret when you go birding by any chance ?? A Frank Spencer moment if I ever heard of one....... :)

Keith, do you wear a beret when you go birding by any chance ?? A Frank Spencer moment if I ever heard of one....... :)

No did not have a Beret on but almost tripped up on the long Mac..........:bonk:
Yes I still laugh about it.........and went past the same hole the other week after about 15 years ...how brave was that.:wacky:

It is funny how almost everyone likes to see a shot of a bird singing without realising the story behind it.
As I said in an earlier thread ...should we ban all bird photing this time of year?...or just pick on a few.

Keith (y)

Back