Black Screen on display

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Back off hols. Switched on computer. I have a black screen with cursor visible. It isn't the monitors. Help!

Assume you have re-started, have you any externals plugged in that may be causing issues ... USB disks etc?

Hmmmm!

Which operating system?

Do you hear the single POST beep on start up.....if not are you hearing a series of beeps, if so what is the sequence?

When you say 'cursor' do you mean the Windows 'Arrow' or is it an 'I' single flashing upright like a capital i ?

Followed instructions from a site and managed to get the following options
F1 System Info
F2 System Diagnostics
F9 Boot Device Options
F10 Bios Setup
F11 System Recovery
F12 Network Boot

And the answers to my questions were???

Followed instructions from a site and managed to get the following options
F1 System Info
F2 System Diagnostics
F9 Boot Device Options
F10 Bios Setup
F11 System Recovery
F12 Network Boot

If you are seeing that ranged across the bottom of screen with system info listed above.....that is the sort of screen i see on my home built PC everytime it boots up (in the past some PC makers configured their boot up to just show a splash screen and hide the boot information screen). But are you hearing the single POST beep?

My initial thought is that your screen is not correctly identifying the video source, if so you might have to access the monitor GUI and 'tell it' which one to use.

Also, as a starting point with the system powered down unplug & plug in the monitor cable at each end......this just to be sure that nothing has lost full connection.

You need to tell us more because without structured feedback by you, all is guess work.

Oh, what make and model is the PC?

Last edited:
Apologies. I'm as thick as they come with computers.
NO beep.
Thanks for your help and I'll get there somehow.
Cheers.

Apologies. I'm as thick as they come with computers.
NO beep.
Thanks for your help and I'll get there somehow.
Cheers.

Did you usually hear a start up beep on all previous start up's ?

PS not being PC savvy is no barrier to solving a problem with some feedback, insight & guidance. There are others here at TP who are way more knowledgeable than I am......but please tell us answers to questions raised and if they make no sense please just tell us enough to to hopefully guide you along :)

Last edited:
Leaving it for the time being. Plenty of jobs to do and no photos to see to anyway.
Appreciate your input.

A friend has sorted it for me. Lost my Lightroom CATS but I'd saved everything else on an external hard drive. I'd been saving "stuff" in the wrong place.

A friend has sorted it for me. Lost my Lightroom CATS but I'd saved everything else on an external hard drive. I'd been saving "stuff" in the wrong place.

I am pleased your friend has got it sorted for you.......and for letting "us" know, I can 'Unwatch' this thread now.

Back