'Black tie'

whitewash

Fishy Fingers
Edit My Images
Yes
At work we've all been invited to a dinner and dance to celebrate the sucess of the company in its field, the invitation says dress code: black tie.

a lot of folks at work are confused as to exactly how formal they want us to dress, do they want full penguin suit or would a simple suit (such as that you would wear to some bugger elses wedding) with a dicky bow and a hanky in the pocket. we all think that would probably do (lets face it very few people own a dinner suit!) but no one seems prepared to email the people in charge to find out (and demonstrate the fact we aint posh or anything)

what would you say was acceptable in a black tie situation amongst work coleagues?

When the Ladies do their best and are in Evening Dress, it is nice if the Gentlemen can do the same.

More people than you think own a DJ.

Even school kids hire them now for their prom nights.

Must have use mine about 30 times in 2007

i can garantee i wouldnt wear a DJ more than about twice in ten years so unlike you it would be a bit of an expensive purchase!

i think our best bet is to email the people in the know, then it'll be either easy (smart) expensuve (having to hire) or lucky (if my dads fits me!)

fingers crossed! :)

It's funny - when you buy a DJ, suddenly you need it every week :)

It's a really nice thing to have in your wardrobe.

Places like Suits You are doing Dinner Suit, Dress Shirt and Bow Tie for £150, which I think is a bargin!

Are they about £80 to hire nowdays?

I think if it says black tie then you must wear a DJ or some other formal dress eg: dress kilt or dress military kit.
If all the men just wear lounge suits then it's just another night out but wearing the James Bond suit makes it something special.
The whole idea of the black tie is that every man in the room is the same regardless of wealth or social standing.

The other strange thing about DJ's is the trousers seem to shrink every year! :thinking:

Go with the DJ if it says Black Tie! its a sure winner with the girls! they like a man in a dinner suit! Hiring is probably cheaper than you think. Also, go wing collar on the shirt with the bow tie, GORGEOUS!!!!! :love:

I've usually hired a dj. Did hire a dj once for a dinner/dance. Decided to get some petrol on the way! Did get some strange looks in petrol station!!

I've been to Burger King in DJs with orchestra friends, just for laughs...

Black tie MEANS a dinner suit

White tie MEANS the same, but with a tail coat (oh and a white tie, obviously)

better go to the rental shops, but non of them seem to have websites with prices on, gonna phone my dad and see what size his suit is although i think it will be too big! ill see about hiring and see about maybe buying if it works out cheaper.

people at work are just going in normal suits as well though so thats always a back up plan!

managed to find a nice cheap penguin suit in suits you outlet (everything for £109!) and the do is tonight, should be a fairly swanky afair, as ive watched 2 HUGE marquees being erected over the past 2 weeks and lots of interesting stuff being put inside it.

heres me already using it at a burns night

burnsnight-52-Edit.jpg

dont i look a smarty pants :D

Oooh - now don't you just look the part! Hope you have a fab time tonight :)

i just hope i dont get too drunk and call the boss a ****** for not giving anyone in the company a payrise (but we're getting a party and everyone knows you can pay your bills with partys)

i just hope i dont get too drunk and call the boss a ****** for not giving anyone in the company a payrise (but we're getting a party and everyone knows you can pay your bills with partys)

The wise ones get the boss drunk enough for him to offer a new career role.....more money and less hours..;)

either that or they get pictures of him doing his PA :naughty:

Thats a mighty fine DJ there too. I need to get a new one really.

Tell the boss he is showing sex discrimination at work, when the women get told they have to wear a suit and black tie fair enough...a pair of tracky bottoms and trainers should do. :LOL:

my head hurts, i dont remember getting home, and i didnt spend any money all night (i kept nicking bottles of red from the bar!) so i guess i had a good night

fairly glitzy afair tbh, much more than i was expecting

and hell im gonna pay for it today:puke::puke:

Back