black tile

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
No

i got myself a nice shiny black tile from wicks yesterday, and this is the 1st picture ive taken using it. what do you reckon?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lt-photos/5202793264/

dunno if the pic works or not.. theres a link ^^

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

That's an awesome idea, I may have to use it myself! I can imagine a solitaire diamond ring looking elegant against a black tile or maybe something very bright like a green apple. Ideas are endless ...

thanks :D. yeah definitely there's all sorts you could put on them, ive wanted one for ages! black granite looked interesting as well but they didn't have any singles left.

I've been scouring the DIY stores for ages looking for plain black granite or ceramic tiles. They all seem to have a pattern on them. I'll be off to Wickes tomorrow then!!!

You can achieve a similar effect to a black tile using a black cloth and the perspex from one of the clip frames. I used this for the shot below, one 8X10 perspex frame and black cloth. Place the cloth beneth the frame and use the remaining cloth as a backdrop.

4626715831_04b9503bf5_b.jpg

Last edited:
good work tom, like Lucy said about the reflection (y)

everything i sell on ebay get's the 'black granite' treatment for the pics. it contrasts really well and looks good with jewellery (and lenses!)

you don't have to go to the expense of granite, you could get a polished porcelain which is cheaper. i would imagine wickes have your pants down on the prices for granite too, you need to be paying no more than £3.50 per tile (305 x 305mm)

cheers :D. yeah i thought that aswell to be honest, thats what i didnt like about it, i think maybe where i had my flash might of jeopardized the reflection. maybe i should have done a multi exposure instead? im definitely gonna play with different things on it though could get some cool results. the tile didnt cost that much to be fair to them, it was £3 i think, the granite probably cost more though. 'just daves' idea is a goodun, i didnt think of tryin the corner shop.

Back