Black & White

Name
Michael George
Edit My Images
Yes
A while ago I asked if anyone could tell me how to take B&W photos with my D40. It was all new to me. I was told that it wasn't possible and had to be done on the computer. I have
now discovered that it is easily done using the menu. I suppose I'll gradually get used to it all! Thought I'd mention it though, in case there is someone out there in the same position.

I would always recommend shooting in colour and then converting to b&w on the computer.

You can get a far wider range of tones from the pc software as against one from the camera.

:canon:

I dont know about the D40, but I have found that if I shoot in 'B&W' on the D200 its actually a colour image that the camera reviews in mono, so you can see if its worked - when downloaded, they are still colour images. I dodnt know this at all till last week with blinkz when I took a couple of B&W raw files...only to find they were colour when downloaded. So, does using the mono review actually affect the image data in anyway, or is it still all retained in the same way shooting a colour image is? :thinking:

When I put images taken in B&W onto the computer, they are in B&W.

When I put images taken in B&W onto the computer, they are in B&W.

What camera, what settings, what computer, what software, and what software settings does that apply to, Mick?

I suspect Mick G is shooting jpg and LL is shooting raw...

That's really lost me! but I've just discovered that when set on Auto, it only takes pictures in colour. Other settings , black and white. I use Picasa 2 to store my photos.

jpg and raw are the format the image is saved as. JPG is a "final" image that you could immediately print, email, etc. RAW is the raw data that camera's sensor recorded and needs further processing before it's a proper image in program like Lightroom. If you set B+W mode but shoot raw the raw data still has all the colour information intact but the camera will display it as b+w. When the raw file is taken into a program like Lightroom the b+w option is ignored.

Back