Blackbird (ISO 6400)

Edit My Images
Yes
Took the new D700 out today, misty and grey, never mind I managed to test a few settings and things ... focuses quicker than the D300, and stays locked on flying targets much better.

Anyway this was taken at ISO 6400, and I have not applied any noise reduction to the image.

1/500 sec f7.1 @ ISO 6400 ... 700mm

230_031.jpg

For ISO 6400 that is a impressive shot Martyn.

That is just stunning at that ISO - what lens were you using :shrug:

That is just stunning at that ISO - what lens were you using :shrug:

Thanks, a Nikkor 500 AF-S II + 1.4TC

Martyn, what settings were you using on the D700, I have just started using mine due to low light but i just cant get it to lock on properly and often keeps finding things in the background to focus on.

Front switch to C, use rear AF-ON so a5 OFF

For static subjects Single point focus on the rear switch (possibly best in low light)

For flight stuff a3 21 point

Importantly and still experimenting a4 'Focus tracking with lock on' 1 Short, I tried OFF but it would find something else, 5 Long made it take too long to achieve initial focus.

Disabling the focusing from the shutter release is important (a5 OFF), using only AF-ON means once I have focus I can release this and stop focusing, which prevents it looking for something else to focus on.

The focus system on the D700 is much better than the D300, it absolutely sticks to birds in flight, even ones at a distance.

Cheers Martyn, i will check in the morning but it seems similar to how i have mine set up. My biggest issue is with a bird with a similar colour etc to the bushes its in or behind it.Its fine with birds against a sky or clean background biut its doing my head in just now.
I don't think you're alone on that one, it does most peoples head in!

Immense image- especially in low light !!

And what a cracking bird as well.

Keith (y)

That is great! I can't imagine what the D700's replacement is going to have to be like to better that :) Good job I've decided to get more glass instead.

How far were you from the bird?

That is great! I can't imagine what the D700's replacement is going to have to be like to better that :) Good job I've decided to get more glass instead.

How far were you from the bird?

I would say about 6 - 7 metres, it was not much of a crop from the original.

I had toyed with waiting, but the replacement will carry an initial price premium and possibly not be available until later this year. Plus I only have to carry one type of spare battery for both the D300 & D700, and I am sure that my Kirk plate will fit it.

Great example of the noise handling capability of the camera not to mention a fine image.

Taking the image into camera raw does show some noise, but it's a trade off between a bit of noise and losing a bit of detail.

However, the image does give support to using higher iso with some of the newer cameras. Higher iso is good in low light and/or wanting to maintain a faster shutter speed.

6400, is that equivalent to 6 stops?!!!

John

Taking the image into camera raw does show some noise, but it's a trade off between a bit of noise and losing a bit of detail.

However, the image does give support to using higher iso with some of the newer cameras. Higher iso is good in low light and/or wanting to maintain a faster shutter speed.

6400, is that equivalent to 6 stops?!!!

John

It was the level of detail it retained that impressed me, whilst I will happily use the D300 at ISO 3200, it would lose some of the finer detail at those levels.

Excellent results from ISO6400 - I was please with the results on my D300 at ISO3200, once I sorted out the exposure, but not as good as yours.

I did pop it in the editor and increase the contrast and I would be hard pushed to say it was taked above ISO800...

...and a really nice shot as well.

Back