Beginner Blackmagic options for starter to film stuff?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
My daughter and a group of friends have been playing about with video stuff for a while and are now interested in moving up a step.

I know nothing about this but reading around it looks like the 'best' option for them might be a used blackmagic camera. Resolve seems to be the go to product for editing and reviews of the pocket range and bmcc seem very positive.

Is there anything else I should look at? I see various lumix options recommended but used prices dont seem terribly different to those for the dedicated cinema stuff from bm.

Mpb seem to have bmcc and bmpcc models for under £500 and I can see on fb the odd pocket 4k for £800 or so.

Any general comments/advice?

thanks

I use BM Pocket 4ks for my architectural videos while they are good cameras and produce nice results they need a lot of accessories and time to get decent results. The battery life is total rubbish and needs to supplemented with external batteries and to get the most of the potential quality you need to be recording to external hard drives or very expensive media. You also need some sort of stabilisation like a tripod, gimbal or slider.

I think something like a used Panasonic GH5 or Sony A6400 is going to give you 90% of the result with much less effort and expense.

I use BM Pocket 4ks for my architectural videos while they are good cameras and produce nice results they need a lot of accessories and time to get decent results. The battery life is total rubbish and needs to supplemented with external batteries and to get the most of the potential quality you need to be recording to external hard drives or very expensive media. You also need some sort of stabilisation like a tripod, gimbal or slider.

I think something like a used Panasonic GH5 or Sony A6400 is going to give you 90% of the result with much less effort and expense.

Thanks. Part of what they want is to do the 'proper' filmaking so they know that they will need to rig it out, I don't know how much they are getting out of resolve.
They're intending to make a short film over the summer holidays so I was just thinking to do some research and discuss with them what the options might be.
I'll look into the gh5 and a6400.

cheers

Blackmagic cameras are capable of great results, but are quite demanding for newcomers to use. They have no AF (or single point AF) and are best used In fully manual mode.
For beginners I'd suggest a second hand panasonic gh5. Or if that's too expensive, look at the excellent panasonic FZ1000 or FZ2000.

My son (who has just completed a Film-making degree) has a Blackmagic 6K - it is fully kitted out with a Tilta Cage/Grip, External Battery, External Monitor and External SSD - He uses it with Sigma 18-35 F1.8, Helios 44M and Canon EF24-105 F4 - He edits in Resolve.

He started with a Panasonic G80 (though he used a lot of Canons at his College (before university)), progressed through a Canon EOS-R and now to the Blackmagic. This is supplemented witha GoPro and a Drone. Initially he used Adobe Premiere but move to Resolve when he got the BlackMagic

The Panasonic G80/85/90 might be a good starting point, and certainly will be cost effective.

Just remember that the audio side of things is just as (if not more imprtant), so make sure that the budget is included for suitable microphones/remote audio recording/etc. And then there is the lighting........

All the required ancillaries - stabilsation, cages, microphones, external monitors, sound recorders, etc, etc really do add a lot to the initial budget and can easily exceed the camera costs!

Blackmagic cameras are capable of great results, but are quite demanding for newcomers to use. They have no AF (or single point AF) and are best used In fully manual mode.
For beginners I'd suggest a second hand panasonic gh5. Or if that's too expensive, look at the excellent panasonic FZ1000 or FZ2000.
If the GH5 is too expensive I'd suggest one of the older GH range rather than a fixed lens camera. The GH range are optimised with video in mind though all MFT (micro four thirds) bodies are good for video,

Indeed any mirrorless camera should be capable of shooting good video (My Sons group use a Canon M body for their short films) but the MFT lenses can be used on black magic cameras if your daughter moves on to that level & the options are much greater with the MFT range - Multiple body manufacturers sharing a mount...

Back