blakester's 52 for 2010, Weeks 51 & 52 Page 12 (Finally Finished)

Good spot Ian. Fits the theme for me - a closed up building, with closed circuit TV. (y)

Good spot Iain, fits the theme on several counts. The colours are good and the detail is excellent.

I like the image, but think the left hand 1/5 wants cropping out. At first I thought it added interest, but I've come to the conclusion it is a distraction.

Phil

Another good take on the theme and does not need a crowbar. What a sad looking building. One wonders why they need the CCTV.

I don't think I agree with Phil. I think the No parking bit on the left adds something to the photo. However, I would have tweaked the levels a bit to brighten it and improve the contrast.

Jenny

fits the theme ok for me. Lots of colours and textures. Building looks very sad in that state.

Thanks JL, yes the building does look a little sad but it appears to be under planning for refurbishment. Don't know when though in these troubled times.:(

Good spot Ian. Fits the theme for me - a closed up building, with closed circuit TV. (y)

Thanks Paul, (y)

Good spot Iain, fits the theme on several counts. The colours are good and the detail is excellent.

Cheers John, I spotted this building a few weeks ago whilst out and about, it sprung to mind for the theme.

I like that Iain. Its different and colourful and fits the theme for me- no crowbar needed.

Thanks Sue, I wasn't sure as to how well it fitted the theme....it did in my head but then thats a whole different world :LOL:

I like the image, but think the left hand 1/5 wants cropping out. At first I thought it added interest, but I've come to the conclusion it is a distraction.

Phil

Thanks for your views Phil, they are all welcome. I kept that part in to add detail but appreciate your different view. :)

Another good take on the theme and does not need a crowbar. What a sad looking building. One wonders why they need the CCTV.

I don't think I agree with Phil. I think the No parking bit on the left adds something to the photo. However, I would have tweaked the levels a bit to brighten it and improve the contrast.

Jenny

Thanks Jenny, that part was left in specifically for that reason.
I have tweaked the levels a little as you suggested, but just enough to lighten it a bit. I wanted it to reflect that sad state of the building.

I've no idea why I like to play with your shots - I don't mess with anyone elses!

How about this for a different take on it?

Phil

p824195938-3.jpg

Yes Phil, that works too, it gives the image a more gritty feel to it. I can see where you were coming from with the crop too. I shall leave both versions up for comparison. Cheers (y)

I like this as an interpretation of the theme. Personally I would crop the left to lose the 'no parking bit', but not as much as Phil's edit, and give it a slightly grittier PP but again not as much as Phil....

Hi Iain,
Merry Christmas to you.
Not much longer to go with this now - well done for sticking it out!

Close definitely fits the theme in more ways than one.
I'm sort of with Phil on this, in that to me it needs to be a bit griittier . . . but I'm feeling like the CCTV camera is getting a bit lost in his edit.
Not quite sure what the answer is, but there's definitely something more to this image that I really want to bring out. Maybe it's the fact that it's the sort of photograph you could almost get lost in. Lots of textures to keep your eye interested.

I like this as an interpretation of the theme. Personally I would crop the left to lose the 'no parking bit', but not as much as Phil's edit, and give it a slightly grittier PP but again not as much as Phil....

Thanks for looking/commenting Tracer (y)

Hi Iain,
Merry Christmas to you.
Not much longer to go with this now - well done for sticking it out!

Close definitely fits the theme in more ways than one.
I'm sort of with Phil on this, in that to me it needs to be a bit griittier . . . but I'm feeling like the CCTV camera is getting a bit lost in his edit.
Not quite sure what the answer is, but there's definitely something more to this image that I really want to bring out. Maybe it's the fact that it's the sort of photograph you could almost get lost in. Lots of textures to keep your eye interested.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you too Sarah.
Thanks too for your comments on Close.
I am at the moment struggling with the 52, I have got no idea about an image for romantic or together and need to get it sorted. :(

I have finally caught up and managed to complete my 52 for 2010 which I am so pleased about.
Below is week 51 of 52, Romantic. Please take this image as something of a question.........Flowers from a garage, romantic gesture or not? :D
C&C welcome as always.

Last edited:
Below is my final image of the 52 for 2010. Taken today whilst indulging in my other hobby....golf. This was my playing partner and I scorecard for round 4 of our club's winter league. It is a pairs competition, different format each week but always playing 'together'. C&C welcome as always.

Last edited:
romantic: I think flowers as a gift are romantic .. no matter where they are from ! It's the thought that counts not the cost.

together: I like your different take on the theme. Hope you won !

Have a good 2011

well - congratulations for making it through to the end.............:clap::clap:

Flowers from a garage eh??? Hmmm, has a certain "oh s##t , I forgot ... oh phew they sell flowers."......

Like the last one, though the scorer's glove needs a bit of a clean!

If it's anything like here, a bit soggy underfoot on the course...........

Romantic: Flowers definitely fit the theme! I would crop the top edge a little though to get rid of the burnt out highlight there, and then a fraction of the right to balance it.

Together: interesting take on the theme, nice lighting and DOF.

romantic: I think flowers as a gift are romantic .. no matter where they are from ! It's the thought that counts not the cost.

together: I like your different take on the theme. Hope you won !

Have a good 2011

Thanks JL, I agree flowers as a gift are romantic, no matter where they are from.......its just the smell of diesel that is off putting:D

We were indeed winners today, 42points on count back (if that makes sense);)

well - congratulations for making it through to the end.............:clap::clap:

Flowers from a garage eh??? Hmmm, has a certain "oh s##t , I forgot ... oh phew they sell flowers."......

Like the last one, though the scorer's glove needs a bit of a clean!

If it's anything like here, a bit soggy underfoot on the course...........

Cheers Lynton (y), it wasn't too bad really, the course is still a bit frozen.

Romantic: Flowers definitely fit the theme! I would crop the top edge a little though to get rid of the burnt out highlight there, and then a fraction of the right to balance it.

Together: interesting take on the theme, nice lighting and DOF.

Thanks Tracer, I will have a wee look at your suggestion on the crop.

Congratulations on completing your 52, Iain (y) It has been a long haul but well worth finishing.

As usual imaginative takes for the last two themes. I love the flowers shot. The composition and colours are great. Yes, it is still romantic even if they are from a garage!

I also like the final shot - good DOF and composition.

All the best for 2011.

Jenny

Congratulations on finishing! :)

Flowers from a petrol station are only unromantic if given wrapped in Texaco branded paper and smelling of petrol! ;)

Well done on making it to the end Iain - and 2 good shots to go out on.

Not sure if petrol station flowers are romantic, but they're certainly better than no flowers. A well composed, well executed shot. DoF is judged perfectly and I really like the little hint of a reflection in the windscreen.

Together - good composition and DoF again (y)
I like this one a lot. It's instantly recognisable as a golfing photo - even though I have no idea what a gold scorecard looks like and the other clues to the theme are oof . . . which IMO makes it a success.

Thank you for all your comments and support this year. A deep sigh of relief now that it's over.

Yay - it had to be a golf shot to finish off your '52! Lovely dof makes this a striking composition!

I've enjoyed seeing your photos this year and commenting on them. Thank you for taking the trouble to comment on mine.

Happy new year,

Phil

Well done on finishing a tough challenge Iain.

Romantic- Petrol station or florist? Does it matter they are still flowers. Then again, my wife has had flowers twice this year - once for "poetry" and the second time for "romantic" :LOL:

Together - I know nothing about golf so I have to accept your explanation for the shot. Well taken and the DOF makes an excellent image.

The 52 week challenge isn't as easy as it seems is it?

Andy

Well done on completing the 52 Iain. I didn't see the original of Romance, but that is spot on, and fits the theme really well. Lovely colours offseting that car dash. As has been said it's the thought that counts, although if you turn up with flowers that are wilting as they've been at the garage for several days, I think you could get a thump :D...

Together, this also fits the theme nicely, I like the composition and the lighting.

Thanks for taking the time through the year to visit and comment on my thread also. Happy New Year

Congratulations on completing your 52, Iain (y) It has been a long haul but well worth finishing.

As usual imaginative takes for the last two themes. I love the flowers shot. The composition and colours are great. Yes, it is still romantic even if they are from a garage!

I also like the final shot - good DOF and composition.

All the best for 2011.

Jenny

Thanks Jenny, I think the consensus of opinion is that flowers are romantic wherever they are from.....(take note lads :LOL:)
Thank you for looking in to my 52 throughout the year.

Congratulations on finishing! :)

Flowers from a petrol station are only unromantic if given wrapped in Texaco branded paper and smelling of petrol! ;)

Thanks Sam, I agree about the flowers :LOL:

Well done on making it to the end Iain - and 2 good shots to go out on.

Not sure if petrol station flowers are romantic, but they're certainly better than no flowers. A well composed, well executed shot. DoF is judged perfectly and I really like the little hint of a reflection in the windscreen.

Together - good composition and DoF again (y)
I like this one a lot. It's instantly recognisable as a golfing photo - even though I have no idea what a gold scorecard looks like and the other clues to the theme are oof . . . which IMO makes it a success.

Thank you for all your comments and support this year. A deep sigh of relief now that it's over.

Thanks Sarah, your comments throughout the year have been much appreciated.

Yay - it had to be a golf shot to finish off your '52! Lovely dof makes this a striking composition!

I've enjoyed seeing your photos this year and commenting on them. Thank you for taking the trouble to comment on mine.

Happy new year,

Phil

Thank-you too for your positive comments and edits on my photographs :LOL: through the year, much appreciated.

Well done on finishing a tough challenge Iain.

Romantic- Petrol station or florist? Does it matter they are still flowers. Then again, my wife has had flowers twice this year - once for "poetry" and the second time for "romantic" :LOL:

Together - I know nothing about golf so I have to accept your explanation for the shot. Well taken and the DOF makes an excellent image.

The 52 week challenge isn't as easy as it seems is it?

Andy

Cheers Andy, it certainly wasn't straightforward at times through the year.

Well done on completing the 52 Iain. I didn't see the original of Romance, but that is spot on, and fits the theme really well. Lovely colours offseting that car dash. As has been said it's the thought that counts, although if you turn up with flowers that are wilting as they've been at the garage for several days, I think you could get a thump :D...

Together, this also fits the theme nicely, I like the composition and the lighting.

Thanks for taking the time through the year to visit and comment on my thread also. Happy New Year

Thanks John, I am glad its complete but it was a worthwhile challenge.

All the best to everyone. Iain

Final catchup Iain.

I like Phil's edit of Close. Really draws the eye.

Romantic: You have the focus spot on. And there's nothing wrong with flowers from a garage!! Flowers is flowers right! :LOL:

Together: Cracking image. Can see this as an advert or in a brochure. Again the focus is spot on. The ungloved hand is a little red but a superb image.

Well done for finishing. (y)

Back