North England Blea Tarn car park charges

Yeah. But if you’re only nipping to see the tarn you should be fine, or a kind person may give you their ticket!

I’m a NT member so it’s free.
But it is not free. If you are paying the National Trust an annual membership fee, then what you are actually doing is paying for your admission/parking fees in advance, and at a reduced rate, dependant on how many properties you actually visit.

But it is not free. If you are paying the National Trust an annual membership fee, then what you are actually doing is paying for your admission/parking fees in advance, and at a reduced rate, dependant on how many properties you actually visit.
I was waiting for some one to state the obvious and point that out. Honestly, you think I wasn’t aware of that haha?

£72 for the year. Good chance that you will visit 10 NT locations in a year so worth the money. Im unlikely to be at Blea Tarn all day and it means you can drop in to some of the pricey car parks for short periods without feeling hard done by.

That said if you are visiting Blea Tarn and doing so for Sunrise technically you cant park till a certain time, so wouldnt be able to get a ticket and there wont be anyone checking.....

£72 for the year. Good chance that you will visit 10 NT locations in a year so worth the money. Im unlikely to be at Blea Tarn all day and it means you can drop in to some of the pricey car parks for short periods without feeling hard done by.

That said if you are visiting Blea Tarn and doing so for Sunrise technically you cant park till a certain time, so wouldnt be able to get a ticket and there wont be anyone checking.....
@AgentOrange76 Technically, there is no stipulation about parking till a certain time. The charges apply from dawn till dusk, seven days a week. It does state on the ticket machine, however, "No overnight parking, please". I was able to get a ticket when I arrived one hour before sunrise

We visit NT (or English Heritage sites which you get with NT membership) at least twice a month, There's a lot of them down here in the West Country, and with Stourhead being just up the road, we probably visit that about 10 times a year on it's own. And if nobody paid for a parking ticket (or entrance fees) then there would be no NT to look after the sites.

That can only be a good thing for the NTS with English membership money going into the NTS coffers.
I wonder if those English trying to save a bob or two think of that :LOL:
I have a feeling to join NTS you need an address in Scotland, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I do know a lot of people think about it.
You can definitely get into NTS places on an English NT card and vice versa. I'm only in the NT for Stourhead, Inverewe and because they own a lot of car parks round the SW coast. Their prices for non members are ridiculous. First time I went to Stourhead, only 6 years ago but as a non member, it was half what it is now. And I didn't pay to park (didn't see the sign............)

or pay the nearly £200,000 salary of the Director-General, (approx £40,000 more than the Prime Minister!).
The guy who runs the group of schools I work in is paid significantly more than the PM, as are the leaders of many large organisations. To me it says more that the PM is grossly underpaid for the responsibility they have. Probably why the role attracts mostly idiots, as the best we have can earn way more elsewhere,

or pay the nearly £200,000 salary of the Director-General, (approx £40,000 more than the Prime Minister!).

But my point remains... If nobody put any money in, there wouldn't be an NT to look after these wonderful places.

But my point remains... If nobody put any money in, there wouldn't be an NT to look after these wonderful places.

I had a great idea. We could have a national charitable organisation that looks after it and instead doesn't profit some fat cats nor lock people of this country out of perfectly legible activities like doing photography and selling prints. Unless you forgot this privately owned for profit corporation are gobbling up all the land and are trying very hard to stop you from that regardless if it is a paid for entry... Anyone paying are paying for losing your rights and supporting fat cats.

Last edited:
@AgentOrange76 Technically, there is no stipulation about parking till a certain time. The charges apply from dawn till dusk, seven days a week. It does state on the ticket machine, however, "No overnight parking, please". I was able to get a ticket when I arrived one hour before sunrise
I thought it was dawn till dusk and assume that no overnight parking means after dusk before dawn. Im an NT member but would object to paying £7.50 for an hours use if i wasnt. I cant remember if there was a machine there in summer of 2019. Dawn was 4am.

Back