Blu-ray backup and other uses

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Do any of you guys on here use blu-ray as yet for backup or anything else - or do you not even see it being used in the future... just interested to find out from your industry perspective if Blu-ray is going to be useful or if you think it will all be solid state memory in the photographic industry?

I don't currently use it but believe that it will be useful in the future, solid state is coming on really quickly and 1tb drives are now under £100 but if blu ray discs are £1 then I think that would be the turning point.

tdk turned otu a 200gb BD recently, and others have been working on bigger, once they get the price to sensible levels there will be use of it i think. I need to back up some 46gb of stuff, it woud be great to stick it on one 50gb BD

Im not confident about using Blueray disks as a storage method, with the price of 320gb/500gb HDD id prefer to have a rack full of those and One of these

I find disks are easily scratch and with the data density on Blueray id expect a small scratch could potentially wipeout a huge amount of data.

BD have a new hardcoat, and it really works well, kids scraped BD game across table and didnt leave a mark!

Back