Blue Peter flash diffuser...

RobertP

TPer Emeritus
Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Might be upsetting to those that have purchased expensive plastic bits for their flashes....

http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/

But probably not ;)

The YouTube video took ages to download here - and the content could have been done in 2 minutes instead of 18!

Lordy he took a long time to explain that!

Rather enjoyed that tbh! He makes some rather "like woah" you shouldn't say that? Like the remark about the large elastic band and how its similar to "such things" :D

Although I own an SB-800, I wouldn't mind giving this ago but where can you get that foam paper from? Where an earth is a rags in the UK? or something similar to that matter! :)

Ed :)

I should take issue with his description of how you use a stoffen and why it's 'bad' in his view. He says you put the stoffen on and point the flash at the ceiling. To my mind the stoffen exists so you don't have to point the flash at the ceiling, you point it at your subject and it diffuses nicely through it, but hey that's called salesmanship :)

i remember reading when I bought my sto fen that the flash should be at 45 degrees.

and by all thats holy, could he bump his gums :eek:

I bought craft foam in local hobby shop (a full 80p!) and used this pic as a template:
22728379.Lumiquest8020plan.jpg

add some velcro and job done!

lol even the auto focus on his camera got bored 4 mins in :p

I passsed out after 6 minutes :(

I dont have a flash gun at the moment - but might come back to that when/if I do - will stick to a bit of scrim over my onboard flash for now.

looks like something out of anne summers (The keltic ice man link)

I love the condom reference!

Wow that was hard work (though quite interesting in a bizarre way?) - only in the US would he find a market to mail out the "kit" & did you see what he wants for p&p! - Oh and he must have been vacinated with a gramaphone needle!
Paul ;)

Why is it in 2 bits? I'm assuming it gives you flexibility.

This is not mine but what I used as a model. The smaller part is a diffuser and a different material. Loads of threads on DPreview.com with loads of photos of home made bouncers, diffusers, snoots, etc - ALL GREAT IDEAS!

I have an off-cut of plastic rectangular cable duct as a snoot (and a plastic cone from a plumbers merchant - can't remember what it was supposed to be) and some craft foam doubled over and stapled to use as a gobo. Whole lot for under a fiver!

Scottish or what!

I can sell him a kit for a key to wind that clock!

Unlike some people, I don't use the craptastic crapsity known as Internet Explorer. (theres no red X)

Then, unfortunately, unlike some people that do, your stuffed for seeing the picture :D

The photo is not mine but is here:

http://k47.pbase.com/u49/fitzdocs/large/22728379.Lumiquest8020plan.jpg

I am a firefox user and to find link I did this:

Looked at text before where photo should be (in this case last words were "a template")
Opened "view source" from context sensitive menu (right click).
Searched for text (CTRL-F) using "a template" and there was link!

BTW I am told that IE that will be shipped with Vista will be rather good and may upstage Firefox. Hard to believe but you never know!

I was just wondering that myself. Is it Funky Foam do you think? (like this on ebay)that you can get in lots of craft shops? Just looked at a sheet of this but it says its flamable? Do you think it would stand up to the heat from the flash?

Yep I think it is funky foam. My wife does card making and when I showed her the video she went strait to her craft stuff and got some. So your local craft shop should sell it. It's about 40p a sheet (A4).

Sigma Already do one like this £12.99
Looks identical... so I guess it must work reasonalbly well??

Just shot an evening in nigh on pitch-black woods (a spot of moonlight) with a quickly knocked up one of these made out of A4 normal paper and whacked onto the flash with masking tape. I didn't bother cutting it "down to size".

It did a damn good job! By the end of the shoot it was flopping all over the place (had become slowly moist and floppy, I'm guessing from moist air) - but had I made it with something a bit thicker (like the inkjet paper suggested) I don't think that'd be an issue.

Very good emergency solution :)

Back