Blue Tit.

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
5200817755_de0f529082_o.jpg

7D, 500mm f4L, 1600 ISO.

Lovely image CT, great exposure and detail in a natural environment, like it (y)
Not sure if its my monitor though, his blue cap looks a little over saturated, it might be me, not sure. Still a good one :clap:

That's nice and clean for 1600 ISO Cedric, I'm almost envious!

Very nice for 1600 ISO CT, like the setting. The blue looks a tad overdone on my screen.

Very nice natural shot CT, as already said nice to see them away from the feeders

Agree with the above CT, nice capture and well done. (y)

Regards: Gordon

Nice capture Ced`s considering the ISO and what I suspect is a bit of a crop, just noticed the clicky for larger image :LOL: looks much better bigger (y) I am still holding back on pushing the ISO up :cautious: Do you make any other alterations within camera Ced`s? Or do you still leave noise reduction etc off @1600 +

Last edited:
I am still holding back on pushing the ISO up :cautious: Do you make any other alterations within camera Ced`s? Or do you still leave noise reduction etc off @1600 +

I have NR OFF in the camera regardless of ISO, but I do leave the default NR settings in Canon DPP. These settings vary with ISO, but they're very minimal - probably negligible in fact by the time you've reduced the image in size which loses a lot of the noise anyway.

I export from DPP as a TIFF - do any editing (including NR)on the TIFF which I save. From the TIFF I save any web images 'as is' as jpegs.

That is my dream set up... very envious!

Great image too. Superb composition and I can't believe the IQ at ISO1600! Once my 450D hits 1600 it freaks out!

(y)

That is my dream set up... very envious!

Great image too. Superb composition and I can't believe the IQ at ISO1600! Once my 450D hits 1600 it freaks out!

(y)

Well the 7D is pretty good at high iSO, but I have run NR just on the bg with this one. The noise was virtually invisible by the time the image was reduced to this size, The problem is the image loses sharpness in reduction and needs sharpening, but if you sharpen the whole image it just makes the noise more visible, so I usually select just the background and run NR, then invert the mask and sharpen the bird separately.

Don't sharpen the image before you try to select the background - it just accentuates any noise and makes it really tricky to select the bg.

Well the 7D is pretty good at high iSO, but I have run NR just on the bg with this one. The noise was virtually invisible by the time the image was reduced to this size, The problem is the image loses sharpness in reduction and needs sharpening, but if you sharpen the whole image it just makes the noise more visible, so I usually select just the background and run NR, then invert the mask and sharpen the bird separately.

Don't sharpen the image before you try to select the background - it just accentuates any noise and makes it really tricky to select the bg.

Cheers for the tips CT :)

Cheers for the tips CT :)

You're welcome. Noise isn't really the problem it used to be any more - sensors are getting better all the time, but you can usually tackle any problems you do get in processing. Under exposure and crap light are still the biggest enemies for noise though - especially in the winter months.

You're welcome. Noise isn't really the problem it used to be any more - sensors are getting better all the time, but you can usually tackle any problems you do get in processing. Under exposure and crap light are still the biggest enemies for noise though - especially in the winter months.
Agree with this, especially the bit about under exposing. Providing you 'shoot to the right' then the 7D can be used at ISO 800 as standard and ISO 1600 if required with little or no noise.
It is when people under expose and then push in processing that the noise becomes evident, especially if you take a heavy crop as well.

I'm intrigued by this shot, the foreground branch looks to be in sharp focus (just as its coming out of the picture) with the birds foot very slightly oof, but the body/head seems to be sharp, how's that happening, PP?

Matt

That one works well mate (y)

I'm intrigued by this shot, the foreground branch looks to be in sharp focus (just as its coming out of the picture) with the birds foot very slightly oof, but the body/head seems to be sharp, how's that happening, PP?

Matt

Hi Matt if you look closely the bird is angled across the frame and i should think the head is about 2 inches in front of the leg and i also think Cedric is slightly above so the head is also closer to the lens that way as well

Regards
Richard

Matt

Just the angle of the bird as Rich says - DOF is very limited with the 500mm especially when close, and this was around 20 feet so pretty close.

Thanks for the info, very informative.

Matt

Back